• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Can Baby Sows, Live With A Older Neutered Boar

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Looking to get our seperated boys 1 year old and 10 months old a female companion each its nearly been 8 weeks since their operation.

We're worried if we get baby sows, will they be injured from humping or could harassment from males be too much on them as babies.

I tried searching for this too no avail, I think it was too specific

Thanks in advance for any advice

I think baby sows will be fine with neutered boars. If the boys do try humping a lot, I am sure the girls will run circles around them!

My neutered boars are living happily with sows that are up to 3 years old or younger than them. I know of some happy bondings between a bereaved 5 year old boar and baby sows.

My 1 year Bedo was happily daddying his three 8 weeks old wifelets last spring; it was really cute to see them bouncing after him wherever he went!

Things can get rather lively when a younger neutered boar meets a sow for the first time, though, so you'd best stage the meeting where you can open windows wide and wipe the room down afterwards, as an excited boar's testosterone laden pee can STINK out of all proportion. Cross gender bondings are often pee fests from both sides. Boars can also lose the on-switch for their brain for a day or two when the male hormones take over. Don't use any hideys at all until things have calmed down, especially not any hideys with only one exit.

Thanks for the replys thats good news, puts my mind at rest.
Can I ask do you know if males normally accept a new sow easily. How likely is a fall out between sexes?
Just want them to be happy but I fear these boys will always be awkward.

That's exactly where we was going to go ha, good to hear nice things about there.

Great minds think alike and all that... :nod:

3 of our piggies came from hutches, Ouzo our neutered boar and his 2 wifepigs Morgan and Tia... :love:

I have a neutered boar who lives with his wifepig and 2 young daughters.....he constantly tries it on with all 3 ladies but they just let him know who's boss! Feel quite sorry for him sometimes as his love is rejected so often! :( Good luck with getting some wifepigs for your boys x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back