Can Boars rumblestrutt too much?

Mamamould

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

ive had my pair of boars now a couple of months and are 18 weeks old now.

They live in an outdoor hutch, and as the weathers been absolutely beautiful since they arrived, they spend most of their day (12hrs ish) out on the grass in a run. i do have a Ferplast 160 they use indoors on days that are horribly wet though.

Ive noticed over the past 2-3 weeks that the rumblestruttng is near on constant. i know boars are prone to it, but this just seems to be all the time. More episodes now are also featuring teeth chattering which i know is a bad sign. Ive made sure that from the day i got them, we have had 2 of everything, foodbowls, bottles, hides, tunnels etc and have made sure the hides have 2 entrances, so no igloos. Plenty of space for them both, and eating well and toileting well too.

there is plenty of popcorning, squeaking and wheeking and talking going on, but the rumbles are even at me! One does seem to do it more than the other, and he isnt as laid back.

Is it just an age thing? are they still trying to work on dominance? I owned piggies many years ago now and had sows so the rumblestrutting wasnt as much it seems!

x

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
They’ve just hit their teens and if they are both the same age then you’ve got it twice as bad. Teeth chattering is a normal dominance behaviour, it’s not necessarily a bad sign - it’s only bad If it is loud and accompanied by other worrying signs.
The one who does it most is the dominant and is showing his dominance. This will calm down in time, but they are in their teens until 14 months so expect to see a lot of it for several more months to come

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

This guide helps when spotting when a bond is having problems. It doesn’t sound like this is the situation for you though, but the guide will help as if you know when things have gone too far, it’s easier to spot when it’s not! Bonds In Trouble

Mamamould

New Born Pup
Reaction score
They’ve just hit their teens and if they are both the same age then you’ve got it twice as bad. Teeth chattering is a normal dominance behaviour, it’s not necessarily a bad sign - it’s only bad If it is loud and accompanied by other worrying signs.
The one who does it most is the dominant and is showing his dominance. This will calm down in time, but they are in their teens until 14 months so expect to see a lot of it for several more months to come

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

This guide helps when spotting when a bond is having problems. It doesn’t sound like this is the situation for you though, but the guide will help as if you know when things have gone too far, it’s easier to spot when it’s not! Bonds In Trouble
oh brilliant, thanks for that information - i wasnt sure when the teens stage was, and yes both the same age.

they do love each other I'm sure, both snuggled up now sleeping together ha ha!

and thanks for the links ill have a look now at those!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Teens is from 4 until 14 months, with big hormone spikes at 6 and 10 months. If they are compatible and like each other, then they will get through it. There may be tensions, you’ll see chasing, mounting, rumbling, chattering, but as long as they want to be together then it won’t be a problem. Read and re read the links! It’s important to know what is normal and what isn’t so that you don’t panic and inadvertently intervene when there isn’t a problem with them.

Mamamould

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Teens is from 4 until 14 months, with big hormone spikes at 6 and 10 months. If they are compatible and like each other, then they will get through it. There may be tensions, you’ll see chasing, mounting, rumbling, chattering, but as long as they want to be together then it won’t be a problem. Read and re read the links! It’s important to know what is normal and what isn’t so that you don’t panic and inadvertently intervene when there isn’t a problem with them.
brilliant, thanks so much! youve put my mind to rest a lot! :)

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Harry, age 2, would like to say that there is no such thing as a boar who rumble struts too much.
All boars should rumble strut as much as possible, even when the guinea pig next door (Ruby) is screaming at them and trying to bite their face off.
Boars who rumble strut are amazing and wonderful and the absolute best.

IMG_5595.jpeg

DougalandDiego

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
BA204673-475C-4A38-86CE-DAC6797FC7EC.jpeg

My two boys would also agree that there isn’t such a thing as too much rumble strutting like @Swissgreys lovely Harry! They like to scare their human slave by the odd chase and teeth chatter when they both take a liking for one hidey too. The big boy at the back (Diego) is in charge here and Dougal likes to sometimes try and stand his ground as he likes to think he’s brave but is quick to move and squeal in submission when Diego tells him :)) The forum has been a fantastic support for me with my two boys so if you’re ever not sure just post and there are lots of knowledgeable members that will be able to offer their advice!

exia

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Oh, I do recognize that 😂
Bob waked up one day and couldn't stop it. I think it was constant, even in his sleep, for 2-3 months. Now he has chilled down a bit. A very little bit.... I'm just glad it wasn't Joe who was the rumbledancer. He's the piggy world's Barry White - a very deep but high rumble!

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Ralph would also like to agree that there is no such thing as rumbling too much. Every good boar considers it his duty to rumble at the first sign of movement in his cage, to follow his cage mates found and rumble strut at them constantly. Then to guard them, just so he doesn’t miss a movement or chance to rumble when they move again. D14667DB-C271-44A0-B1F4-8D1D34450940.jpeg

Fantasimo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!

ive had my pair of boars now a couple of months and are 18 weeks old now.

They live in an outdoor hutch, and as the weathers been absolutely beautiful since they arrived, they spend most of their day (12hrs ish) out on the grass in a run. i do have a Ferplast 160 they use indoors on days that are horribly wet though.

Ive noticed over the past 2-3 weeks that the rumblestruttng is near on constant. i know boars are prone to it, but this just seems to be all the time. More episodes now are also featuring teeth chattering which i know is a bad sign. Ive made sure that from the day i got them, we have had 2 of everything, foodbowls, bottles, hides, tunnels etc and have made sure the hides have 2 entrances, so no igloos. Plenty of space for them both, and eating well and toileting well too.

there is plenty of popcorning, squeaking and wheeking and talking going on, but the rumbles are even at me! One does seem to do it more than the other, and he isnt as laid back.

Is it just an age thing? are they still trying to work on dominance? I owned piggies many years ago now and had sows so the rumblestrutting wasnt as much it seems!

x
I got two boys last year after only having had females and I went through the same thing. My boy Oggie used to rumblestrut constantly! At me, at his brother, at the dog, at food, when he was mad, when he was excited, when he was um, otherwise excited 😳. His brother Finn barely did it at all.

The good news is that Oggie is now 18 months and only does it when he is excited (usually in conjunction with a popcorn). He’s just a rumbly pig and was (I assume) incredibly hormonal in his teens 😂