• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Can Boars That Are Not Castrated Be Paired With Another Boar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Roger*Jasper*

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
In need of some advise....

I have a lone boar and would really like him to have a companion. He hasn't been castrated, will this make a difference in pairing him up? I know that castration doesn't change their behaviour but he might get better on with a sow rather than another boar? He is 3 years old, is this too old for castration?

Please help? Thanks in advance x

I don't know in regards to the operation and his age.

However I would personally try to bond him with a boar if possible and only go for the operation if he just won't bond with another boy. Most operations go smoothly, but some don't and then you can have longer term consequences. I wouldn't do it again unless I really had to as I now have a piggy in care at TEAS and had around £500 in vet bills as a consequence.

Well think about what neutering is to start with. Neutering is designed to stop them from reproducing. Two boars can't reproduce together as they lack the right organs. And as you have already said it doesn't change their behaviour. So there is no need to neuter them unless you are intending to pair them with a female.

Like I said i personally would think twice now before doing it.

Does that make sense?
X

No worries :) hope you find someone to put them with. We are waiting for our weak one to get better and then we will try and find each of them a girlfriend.

Neutering boars does not change behaviour only that they can't reproduce if being pair with a sow or sows. The age of your boar would be fine to be neutered with a competent vet.
Also the age of him means he has well passed the dominance stage so would be a good candidate to be bonded with a baby boar. You are doing the right thing going to a reputable rescue who does boar dating so hat he will go home with a friend he gets on with and also means you have a life time of back up, a correctly sexed and healthy guinea pig.

He will be fine paired with another un-neutered boar. Find a good rescue centre with some single boys, the centre will help your boy find his new friend. Be prepared to take some time over this, it might take a few introductions before he "clicks" with the one he likes best:).

At his age, I would recommend to try boar dating at a good rescue first if you have this option.

With a good vet (and that is the crucial bit!) older boars can be neutered, they won't heal up quite as quickly as youngsters and the risk of complications is slightly increased, but I know of boars as old as 4 years that have been safely neutered in order to live with a sow. Any boar Needs a full 6 weeks post op wait until he is safe to go with a sow. I have the daughter of a supposedly safe over 5 weeks post neutering op boar living with me and have since heard of a few more cases that have happened as late as that.

Best of luck! Please read our introductions and behaviour guides at the top of this section for bonding tips, the dominance phase is going to last several days to two weeks. I would strongly recommend to still start with an introd in neutral space first and to make sure that your cage is totally cleanied (incl. soft furnishings), doesn't contain any hideys with only one exit (ideally none at all until things have settled down).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back