• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Can guinea pigs be too old to bond?

Willow&Kai

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just got a gorgeous new guinea pig a couple of days ago, she is fully grown and her age is unknown - I don't know about her care before I got her but she was sold to me sick and I don't see any signs of previous socialization. I was just wondering if by a certain age you cannot bond with a guinea pig, I plan to keep her either way as I got her as a new friend for my other guinea pig. If she cannot be socialized I would simply like to save her the stress of me attempting to bond with her.

Thanks to anyone who responds to this thread.

Personality of guinea pigs is what determines whether a bonding will succeed, rather than their age. In the rescue we have bonded all ages of piggies in pairs, but the key to success is in the planning.
Be sure to read the threads @Swissgreys linked you to above.
The old saying “fail to prepare = prepare to fail” is particularly true with introductions. You need plenty of time and a completely neutral bonding pen. It will then be up to the sows if they get on. Older sows can be very picky who they will accept.
As for bonding with you as a human, that depends on her previous experiences and her personality. Some piggies are majorly skittish all their lives and hate being handled while others positively enjoy being petted. Have a good read of this thread about settling and interacting, Settling In And Making Friends With Guinea Pigs - A Guide

Personality of guinea pigs is what determines whether a bonding will succeed, rather than their age. In the rescue we have bonded all ages of piggies in pairs, but the key to success is in the planning.
Be sure to read the threads @Swissgreys linked you to above.
The old saying “fail to prepare = prepare to fail” is particularly true with introductions. You need plenty of time and a completely neutral bonding pen. It will then be up to the sows if they get on. Older sows can be very picky who they will accept.
As for bonding with you as a human, that depends on her previous experiences and her personality. Some piggies are majorly skittish all their lives and hate being handled while others positively enjoy being petted. Have a good read of this thread about settling and interacting, Settling In And Making Friends With Guinea Pigs - A Guide
Yeah I have heard that introduction is extremely important, I had a previous guinea pig that I had to rehome due to fighting so I am being extra cautious with this introduction. Also thank you for that link for bonding with guinea pigs - want to go about it in the least stressful way possible and that will definitely help. :)

Hi!

No piggy is too old to bond. The oldest pair that moved in with each other were respectively 8 and 6 years old. Calli lived to celebrate her 9th birthday and by now three times bereaved Tegan is still with me, now part of my newly (rebonded) Old Ladies group after she lost yet another widowed companion last month to old age.

What is more important is personality and background. But even then a next door neighbour will provide much needed interaction and constant stimulation to any single guinea pig.
The best way of finding out whether your girl would like a sow or neutered boarfriend of her own choice is dating at a good rescue under expert supervision so you come home with a healthy and fully quarantined properly sexed and guaranteed not pregnant new companion only if acceptance has happened. Always make sure that any rescue you go for has got mandatory quarantine, vet care etc. and is offering a dating/meet&greet service.
Recommended vetted UK rescues: Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues
Recommended vetted rescues in some other countries: Guinea Lynx :: Rescue Organizations

Please make sure that you have properly sexed and quarantined your new girl (you do not want her to carry any bugs into a place, either!), and that she is healthy before attempting any bonding. If you are looking for a suitable friend on your own, please have a plan B (next door companionship in adjoining cages) at the ready in case things are not going to plan. Guinea pigs are social animals and need the company, but they are every bit as complex as pairing up humans!
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)
Importance Of Quarantine

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Sow Behaviour (including ovarian cysts)

Back