• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Can guinea pigs eat wheat?

KGill

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi
In my garden I’ve got all sorts sprouting from the bird feeder - including something that looks like wheat.
Is it OK to feed to my guinea pigs?
Thank you :)

Na I wouldn't let them eat it. Lots of Guinea pig pellets and nuggets are grain free these days, anything made from wheat is a grain food. So I'd avoid it 👍I think they have a hard time digesting it

This was my first thought, but you can buy 'bouquets' of grasses and herbs for guinea pigs from the petshop. They do different mixes - dill is one and oanother includes wheat. They don't normally touch the seeds though - just the leaves. But the fresh stuff they loved it.
Bit worried now though - a friend had to put one of their piggies down when it accidentally got fed bird food :(

Those pet shop treats are sometimes not suitable for guinea pigs despite saying the opposite. I wouldn’t feed anything that includes things they shouldn’t eat. As for your friend’s piggy, it could have been something else too.

I used to give both my chickens and my 4 guinea pigs grass from wheat seeds and birdseed seed for years and they loved it with no adverse effects. I'm assuming it depends on the type of birdseed but these kinds of grasses are rarely poisonous to guinea pigs or birds for that matter!

Back