• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Can guinea pigs go deaf due to age?

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 5 year old guinea pig, Missy seems to have gone deaf. I’d noticed a couple of months ago that she didn’t respond as quickly and seemed to be sleeping more so I took her to see Simon and he said she was in very good health and he’d have never have guessed she was 5 years old.

Now I’m wondering if she might have gone deaf. She doesn’t respond to her name anymore and doesn’t squeak when I rustle bags. I’ve tried clapping and she doesn’t react (although it’s not easy to see her ears due to her long hair).

Do guinea pigs go deaf with old age, or is it a sign that something’s wrong? She doesn’t have a head tilt, her ears look clear, and they’re nothing obvious I can see wrong with her.

Some piggies can go deaf(er) with age; as long as you check that it is not due to blocked ears and that they are healthy by themselves, there is nothing to worry.

I would recommend to switch from audio cues to sight/movement and scent based alerts and enrichment.https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/enrichment-ideas-for-guinea-pigs.168336/

They can lose some hearing as they age, I also find that older piggies sleep more deeply and are sometimes slower to respond to sounds even when they can hear them.

Thank you for the replies 😊

Some piggies can go deaf(er) with age; as long as you check that it is not due to blocked ears and that they are healthy by themselves, there is nothing to worry.

I would recommend to switch from audio cues to sight/movement and scent based alerts and enrichment.https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/enrichment-ideas-for-guinea-pigs.168336/
Thanks for the link.

I need to come up with a way of getting her attention in the run when giving out treats 🤔 At the moment I have to reach in and wave them in front of her face lol

Back