• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Can Guinea pigs hate someone?

Rivervixen

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Sounds so stupid but I want to ask this before asking things I don’t want to. There’s been quite a few incidents i haven’t been in the room but my fiancé has and ozzy screams, he screamed twice while my fiancé was carrying him to another room (I couldn’t see them) he’s never screamed with me in the room ever. I’m wondering if he doesn’t like my fiancé or whether my fiancé is doing something wrong

Oh dear that doesnt sound good, I've seen my piggies dislike a complete stranger in the house (the best example was when baby Theo took against the boiler servicing man and growled so loudly the man asked if we had a dog and was it tied up!) but I've never seen them actively dislike anyone who is a frequent visitor/family member and could be a source of snacks, even loud ADHD demon child nephew who they are wary of but not so nervous that they wont take a snack from him or bite his fingers rather than running away if he's trying to poke them through the cage bars!
My lot seem to mostly trust who I trust though of course in some cases with reservations/eye rolling resignation (bloody hell its that little sod again watch out for the lego-bricks-on-laminate-flooring crash arent the school holidays over yet?).
Maybe it depends on the background of the piggy? I have heard of some dogs and cats who dont like men at all even kind men because they have met bad cruel men in the past...

Ruby does - she hates everyone except her one perfect slave.
If I put my hand in her cage to clean it, etc. she trots over and gives me a nip.
If DD1 puts her hand in the cage Ruby trots over, puts herself underneath the hand and waits for a pat. Then she rumbles and pancakes.

So although this isn't exactly what you are asking, I think guinea pigs can and do form strong opinions about the people they like.
If I handle Ruby (which in reality does have to happen sometimes she makes angry squeaks the entire time - she tolerates it, but she makes it 110% clear she doesn't like it.

Jake took umbrage with a vet once. He was normally pretty good with the vet (getting a nail trim) but every time this one went to clip his nails he tried to nip her. He was having absolutely none of it.

She went to speak to another vet about this vicious, nippy guinea pig, and he came back with her. He clipped Jake's nails and Jake was the very image of an angelic piggy. It was very hard not to laugh at her expression, but I wasn't allowed to book Jake with her again.

Ruby does - she hates everyone except her one perfect slave.
If I put my hand in her cage to clean it, etc. she trots over and gives me a nip.
If DD1 puts her hand in the cage Ruby trots over, puts herself underneath the hand and waits for a pat. Then she rumbles and pancakes.

So although this isn't exactly what you are asking, I think guinea pigs can and do form strong opinions about the people they like.
If I handle Ruby (which in reality does have to happen sometimes she makes angry squeaks the entire time - she tolerates it, but she makes it 110% clear she doesn't like it.

I think Evie has been taking tips from Ruby..... This evening while I was poo picking I felt her warm breath on the inside of my wrist. Took no notice. And then I got a full on toothy experience. Not a gentle exploratory “you smell of veggies” mistaken nip. The full how hard can I bite you before you squeal experience.
Seems I am not yet forgiven for daring to weigh her and do her nails last night.

I think Evie has been taking tips from Ruby..... This evening while I was poo picking I felt her warm breath on the inside of my wrist. Took no notice. And then I got a full on toothy experience. Not a gentle exploratory “you smell of veggies” mistaken nip. The full how hard can I bite you before you squeal experience.
Seems I am not yet forgiven for daring to weigh her and do her nails last night.
Quite right too Evie - you go ahead and give your slave a firm reminder that physical abuse such as weighing and nail clipping will not be tolerated.
Sending healing wheeks to you Evie.
Love Ruby x

I have heard of some dogs and cats who dont like men at all even kind men because they have met bad cruel men in the past...

Actually, in some cases there's an innocent explanation for it at least for dogs (I don't know about cats) - if a dog does it, it may be simply that the person is wearing a hat (and women tend to wear hats frequently than men). If anyone's ever seen the second guardians of the galaxy movie where Rocket and Groot are discussing hats "one minute you think someone has a weird shaped head..." it's that, pretty much. Our old lab was a menace for it.

Back