• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Can guineas eat . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've heard mixed opinions on

lettuce
pear
tomato

I haven't tried any of these. What do you think?

lettuce is fine as long as its not iceburg, mine love sweet gem and cos/romaine.

I feed cherry tomatoes (cut in half and de seeded) a coupe times a week.

Thanks Kellie. I wasn't sure about lettuce. I'll try them with cos.
At the moment they love rocket - you can see how spoiled they are!

OOh yeah mine love rocket too! bags of mixed lettuce and herbs are good, I get it from asda and it doesnt have iceburg in it.

Dr also likes watercress but at the moment he's being really difficult about everything!

bless him, I am sure he will get over it and start eating well, well I hope!

I think he liked the personal touch being fed with a syringe on his mummy's knee in front of the telly!

They can defiantly eat lettuce and all my piggies are a big fan! Don't overfeed them this though for it could upset their tummy! ;)

They can also eat tomatoes without seeds however mine don't like them.

Mine go mad for the baby leaf mix from Asda, it has red chard, yellow chard, coral lettuce, spinach, rocket and tatsoi. Hubby says I feed them better than him lol!

agree with what everyone said about lettuce and tomato.. only one of my boys, Tonic will eat tomato though!

Tried everyone with a bit of pear once, got sniffed at and nibbled a bit, but that was it!

Kelly and piggies xx

Lettuce is a favourite in our house. We love romaine (cos), endive (frisee), escarole, radicchio, red batavia, mizuna, lollo rosso, and little gem. We can have lettuces every day; little and often is better than lots all in one go.
As said before iceberg is one to avoid as it is very high in water; 90% water I once read.

Tomatoes are good with or without seeds. However, we really don't like tomatoes with the insides still in, so Laura scoops the seeds out and just gives us the skins. We can have a few cherry tomatoes a day, and it is very good and nutritious for us!

Pear is fine, but as with all fruits should only be given every few days. Most fruits are really high in sugar, acid and water - all of which have various health issues linked.

x Lady Tuppence x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back