Can Having Other Rodents Make Piggies Sick?

kate4001

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone. So recently I have really been wanting to adopt another pet. I am thinking of going the small animal route and was going to adopt more pigs before going talking to people on this site and deciding to just keep my two boys together and maybe get another pair in a separate cage at some point. Just out of pure curiosity. When I first got my pigs the lady at the adoption center said that by adopting these rodents, I could not own any more rodents in this house. Let me be clear, I don’t mean keeping them in the same cage I mean having them in a separate cage in the same room. I have seen people keep bunnies and piggies together which I know is wrong and I would never do but is there something wrong with them just living in the same room and breathing the same air? I can’t find anything on the web on this, just about keeping two rodents in the same cage.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You can keep other rodents in the same room. There shouldn’t be a problem there. There are plenty of people who have hamsters and guinea pigs in the same room for example.

However, you specifically mention rabbits - rabbits aren’t rodents - but rabbits should be kept in a totally different room to guinea pigs. Rabbits have diseases which can be fatal to guinea pigs so keeping rabbits well away from piggies, not in the same air space, you should ensure there is never any cross contamination by ensuring you always deal with piggies first, don’t use the same equipment etc. I have a rabbit as well as the guinea pigs and I have to be careful that there is never any risk of passing anything from the rabbit to the guinea pigs. I even keep their runs at totally opposite ends of the garden so the guinea pigs don’t even walk on the grass where the rabbit has been.

kate4001

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You can keep other rodents in the same room. There shouldn’t be a problem there. There are plenty of people who have hamsters and guinea pigs in the same room for example.

However, you specifically mention rabbits - rabbits aren’t rodents - but rabbits should be kept in a totally different room to guinea pigs. Rabbits have diseases which can be fatal to guinea pigs so keeping rabbits well away from piggies, not in the same air space, you should ensure there is never any cross contamination by ensuring you always deal with piggies first, don’t use the same equipment etc. I have a rabbit as well as the guinea pigs and I have to be careful that there is never any risk of passing anything from the rabbit to the guinea pigs. I even keep their runs at totally opposite ends of the garden so the guinea pigs don’t even walk on the grass where the rabbit has been.
Thanks so much super helpful. I was not planning on a rabbit I just remember the lady at the adoption place mentioning rabbits for some reason and this is probably why. Now when I see my relatives rabbits I will have to wash up before touching my pigs. Thanks again!

Fantasimo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had rats and guinea pigs in the same room. But as cute and lovable as rats are, I would have never let them get close to the guinea pigs, because a guinea pig would stand no chance! Health wise, there never seemed to be any problems though 🤷🏻‍♀️

kate4001

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had rats and guinea pigs in the same room. But as cute and lovable as rats are, I would have never let them get close to the guinea pigs, because a guinea pig would stand no chance! Health wise, there never seemed to be any problems though 🤷🏻‍♀️
Great to know, thanks. I am personally considering gerbils or mice. I get loving rats and mice now, ever since I have had guinea pigs I have become so desensitized to rodents in general. Now I know they are all just sweet little animals💕

Fantasimo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Great to know, thanks. I am personally considering gerbils or mice. I get loving rats and mice now, ever since I have had guinea pigs I have become so desensitized to rodents in general. Now I know they are all just sweet little animals💕
Can’t comment on mice, but I’ve had four rats and they are like having tiny dogs. They love being with you, they are very intelligent, come to their names etc. Top tip: If you choose rats, make sure you get ones that have been raised being handled, or rescues that have been well handled, as it really helps, especially for your first ever ratties 🙂

kate4001

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can’t comment on mice, but I’ve had four rats and they are like having tiny dogs. They love being with you, they are very intelligent, come to their names etc. Top tip: If you choose rats, make sure you get ones that have been raised being handled, or rescues that have been well handled, as it really helps, especially for your first ever ratties 🙂
Thanks for this advice thats so cute that they are just like dogs. ❤

kate4001

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve had gerbils, hamsters, rats and degus as well as guinea pigs and they caused no problems. I have a pair of gerbils at the minute. They make great pets
Awww so lucky I can’t wait to get gerbils at some point! I have been taking notes on how to care for them and waiting for the right day. Hoping to have all the supplies and house set up and then see if any gerbils or mice are up for rescue locally. 🌸🐾