Can I add another male guinea pig

Nfrye

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I currently have 2 male guinea pigs who I have had for about a year. I was thinking since they have a big enough cage for it (it’s a 6x2 cage) I was wanting to get another guinea pig but was wondering if adding another male would be a problem.

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It would be a big problem. You can only keep boars in pairs. Adding more pigs to a boar pair will result in fights.
If you want more pigs, then having a separate boar pair that live totally separately is the only way.

Boar trios (and more) have a 90% failure rate. At best the new pig won’t be accepted and needs a new friend (so you end up with two pairs). At worst, adding a third ruins the original pairs relationship and then all three need to live separately, each needing a new friend so you end up with three pairs.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

The only way to successfully keep a boar group is to have at least 10 guinea pigs with a very large enclosure amounting to at least a square metre each. But even then it requires huge amounts of experience plus loads of separate cages in case if all goes wrong.

Nfrye

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It would be a big problem. You can only keep boars in pairs. Adding more pigs to a boar pair will result in fights.
If you want more pigs, then having a separate boar pair that live totally separately is the only way.

Boar trios (and more) have a 90% failure rate. At best the new pig won’t be accepted and needs a new friend (so you end up with two pairs). At worst, adding a third ruins the original pairs relationship and then all three need to live separately, each needing a new friend so you end up with three pairs.

The only way to successfully keep a boar group is to have at least 10 guinea pigs with a very large enclosure amounting to at least a square metre each. But even then it requires huge amounts of experience plus loads of separate cages in case if all goes wrong.
[/QUOTE

Thank you for the help