• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • FORUM DONATIONS OPEN The forum relies on your help to continue running, if you would like to help keep the forum running then you can find out about donating here

Can I give Metacam and Daktarin Oral Gel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
Sorry to start a new thread for this question, but am needing to get a answer pretty quick as one of our pigs Pitch is suffering after having dental work done last week.

A week after having a spur removed from a bottom tooth and some teeth filed down we are still having to critical care syringe feed every morning and evening around 25ml a day.
Her weight is currently stable for 2 days (she had dropped around 10 grams a day) she currently weighs 820g.
She will not eat any Hay and today nibbled on cabbage, the only thing she will eat is Gerty Guinea Pig. This and the CC is keeping her from dropping massively. She occasionally picks up her Parsley but then ignores it.

A day after her Dental work she did eat 5 Parsley flowers but then hasn't really had any since.
I started her on Daktarin Yesterday and am giving her 0.4ml twice a day. We currently have Putt (her sister) on Metacam for a UTI and were wondering if we could give a bit to Pitch also to stop any pain, in the hope she would start eating Hay and Veg's.

Is Metacam ok to give while using the Daktarin? Thanks

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Personally I would never give/mix meds without first consulting my vet and getting their authorisation...especially where anti fungals and non-steroidal anti inflammatories are involved as both these types of medicines can have side effects and interact with other medications. Unfortunately I have never been in the position of having a piggie that required both metacam and daktarin together so don;t know what my vets views on this would be.

Please be careful about how you approach your vet if you have not already got their Ok to give the daktarin.....perhaps it might be better to ask about the "possibility of starting" both metacam and daktarin treatments in order to "relieve discomfort and fungal complications resepctively that are known to occur from piggy dental work" ;)
HTH
x

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please be careful about how you approach your vet if you have not already got their Ok to give the daktarin.....perhaps it might be better to ask about the "possibility of starting" both metacam and daktarin treatments in order to "relieve discomfort and fungal complications resepctively that are known to occur from piggy dental work" ;)
HTH
x
Thanks Pebble, I am going to play it safe and just use the Daktarin for now. I am going to tell the vet I've put her on it.
However I feel this is possibly the last chance saloon for little Pitch and I need to try everything I can to help her eat again. After 2 days of Daktarin she has nibbled on Cabbage and last night ate one sprig of Coriander although this did take 5 mins for her to chew it, so maybe it's having a positive affect.

The past week has been mentally and physically draining, Putt has a UTI and had to undergo a X-Ray Tuesday for BladderStones after squeaking when pooing (Currently on a 10 day Baytrill and Metacam Course) and Pitch is seemingly on a downhill spiral after 3rd Dental (with GA) since September. However she is only losing 3-5g a day now so she must be eating more each day as the weight loss has decreased.

The vets opinion is that Euthanasia should be considered if Pitch doesn't pick up. At the moment for me and my wife this is not an option - she is seemingly happy although somewhat unvocal.
However I must face facts, if she cannot eat and loses weight to a greater extent that her quality of life will decrease it would be cruel to let her suffer. Both her and Putt mean the world to me and I feel like I'm running out of ways to save her :...

Reaction score
I have a contact number of a rodentologist who does dental treatment wthout a GA and could give you advice.Daktarin is ok with metacam or you could just give paracetomol - calpol type - 0.2mg.Pm me if interested.
Make sure your giving live yogurt or culture powder with the anti b.Its the anti bs that cause the problems with recovery.She should ideally be fed full sachet of critical care each day if she isnt eating much.
Thanks
Helenx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.