• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Can i use Oxbow Adult Guinea Pig Food to replace Critical Care for about a day and a half?

Agashe

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As the title says I was wondering if this was safe to do? My vet is closed tomorrow and I hadn’t realized how much he eats a day until today when I realized that the bag will NOT be lasting through the end of the evening. I’ve read it can make them gain weight but not much else other than it’s about 5% of daily food intake and that it’s sometimes not healthy from additives like grains. Anything would be helpful!

You can soak the pellets they eat and use that.

As long as it’s not available. Are you not able to buy it online?

As long as it’s not available. Are you not able to buy it online?

I can and the vet opens Monday but I was just wondering and asking for the people that may find themselves asking and wondering the same thing as myself. From hearing that pellets shouldn’t be the main source of food to hearing it can make them fat fast it made me wonder how long it could actually be given for in place of hay. My boy is on a round of antibiotics so he’s not really touching hay at the moment

I’m not sure on that front. But it can be used if critical care can’t be gotten in an emergency.

You are right in that pellets shouldn’t be the main source of food, but if a piggy is poorly and needs syringe feeding then that is the primary concern - you don’t worry about the fact they’re are getting more pellets than normal, keeping gut function with a source of fibre and stopping weight loss is vital. The recovery feeds contain more fibre than mushed pellets but mushed pellets are the emergency measure until you can get more recovery feed.

Grass is a natural diet for them. It’s what they’re designed to eat

I see,I have some Oxbow Orchard Grass,that’s okay to give then? Actually I have another question since we’re on the subject of eating,every 2 hours from 1pm-10pm I’m giving him 30ml of food and he’s not gaining weight from what I can tell,am I doing something wrong? Should I up the amount? (He’s seeming to maintain around the same weight give or take a few grams)

Are you weighing him or feeling his weight? I think, from what others on here say, it can take longer for them to gain back any weight they may have lost. As long as he’s not losing I think that’s good. Is that 30ml every 2 hours or 30ml in those 9 hours?

Are you weighing him or feeling his weight? I think, from what others on here say, it can take longer for them to gain back any weight they may have lost. As long as he’s not losing I think that’s good. Is that 30ml every 2 hours or 30ml in those 9 hours?

It’s 30ml every 2 hours. I am weight by scale and I can also feel his tailbone but not as bad as I used to feel it,his ribs can be felt a bit and his spine can be felt as well but it’s not as bad as it was when I was weighing him in at around 800grms

That’s pretty good he’s taking that much in two hours. If he’s maintaining it’s good. It may take a while for him to gain back the weight.

I've done oxbow mash before. I've added a fave veg or fruit as baby food to encourage eating it too.

That’s pretty good he’s taking that much in two hours. If he’s maintaining it’s good. It may take a while for him to gain back the weight.

I’m gonna continue posting here because I’m not sure if I should make another but could you please tag other pros? My vet would like to test for hyper thyroid? But I have no experience in this so I would like to know some symptoms and if it can develop later in life?

With hyperthyroidism you can normally detect a nodule (goitre) in the neck. A blood test (T4) can be carried out, but the results in guinea pigs are often inconclusive or give false positives or negatives. I've had a couple of guinea pigs that have been treated for hyperthyroidism. Both had a very obvious goitre in the neck. We used the medication Thyronorm, which is a medication for hyperthyroidism in cats. This medication worked very well. Both guinea pigs were eating incredibly well, were very hyperactive, but were losing weight and condition, rapidly. After a few weeks of medication they stopped losing weight and very slowly started to regain weight.

With hyperthyroidism you can normally detect a nodule (goitre) in the neck. A blood test (T4) can be carried out, but the results in guinea pigs are often inconclusive or give false positives or negatives. I've had a couple of guinea pigs that have been treated for hyperthyroidism. Both had a very obvious goitre in the neck. We used the medication Thyronorm, which is a medication for hyperthyroidism in cats. This medication worked very well. Both guinea pigs were eating incredibly well, were very hyperactive, but were losing weight and condition, rapidly. After a few weeks of medication they stopped losing weight and very slowly started to regain weight.

Is it possible to have it without the neck thing? My vet said she didn’t feel it but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have it. She also said that it could come back with nothing after blood work too so him not having it could mean he actually doesn’t have it but incase she wants to do it I believe. I think she’s concerned about it because I’ve been feeding constantly but no real weight is being gained and if it is we’re talking MAYBE 10grms a day and I think that’s being generous

Is it possible to have it without the neck thing? My vet said she didn’t feel it but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have it. She also said that it could come back with nothing after blood work too. I think she’s concerned about it because I’ve been feeding constantly but no real weight is being gained and if it is we’re talking MAYBE 10grms a day and I think that’s being generous
Does he eat lots for himself and are you only giving supportive feeding to try and put some weight onto him? There is normally a goitre but it can be very deep and not easy to detect. Would your vet consider just trialling some medication for hyperthyroidism, to see if makes a difference?

Back