• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Can neutering a boar be done with an injection?

beckym123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Iv just re-homed an 8 week old boar, and I was told he had been neutered. When I asked how this was done, she said it was by injection? He was 3 weeks premature too.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
No it can't. Neutering in UK is done from 4 months of age, once the testicles have descended. Where did you get him - breeder, rescue or pet shop?

I would consider looking for another vet.
Vet Locator

PS Following on from Swissgrey's response below, do you have any other you are planning to bond him with?

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
As what’s been said is a physical impossibility I have to ask where on earth did you get this piggy from? I’m assuming this was from a breeder as even P@H wouldn’t claim to neuter by injection.

beckym123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
He is from a lady that has 6 other females and another baby male.

She took on my male guinea pig as well (so we kind of did a swap, no money involved). My guinea pig is a year (not done) and wasn't tolerating any male company. We tried for over a year but he just wasn't mixing.

So we ended up keeping the baby pig we just had (9 weeks old) and re-homing him. Then we got this little one hoping to bond with the 9 week old male we have. So far so good they are much happier.

My older pig is with this lady, and she assures me she's watching him around the 6 females and will separate if during play time he looks like he wants to mate. She said she is going to get him done. Iv seen a video and he's very happy with her girls and just interacting.

I'm just unsure as I read boar pigs can't be neutered with an injection, so unsure what's going on. Luckily my 9 week old is a boy, so no worries with unwanted pregnancies from my end!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don't usually write like this but PLEASE tell the lady that letting him 'play' with the sows is dangerous. It only takes a second and if she tried to separate them there would be damage to both piggies. He shouldn't be near them at all until six weeks after he's been neutered.

Did you double check the sex of the young one you got? I'm afraid I would. If she thinks you can neuter by injection and that it's okay to put an intact boar with sows then 🤷‍♀️

beckym123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig that went to her is about a year and a half. Iv checked the sex of the little one today and he's definitely male. Tbh the video just shows my guinea pig feeding with them, he doesn't even look interested atm.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
He may not look interested but doesn't mean he wouldn't be once they're in season. That's a game of roulette she is playing. And can be seen as intentional breeding. I won't say any more though.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
And as well as the very obvious pregnancy risk, guinea pigs do not do those kind of playtimes. Putting piggies together is bonding and hierarchy sort out to them which is then abruptly ended when they are separated and put them back in their own cages. This causes a lot of stress to all the piggies involved.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
As others have already said this places a huge amount of stress on all the guinea pigs, plus it greatly reduces the chance of your boy being able to happily live with another male.
Mating takes a second - why take such a huge and unnecessary risk?
Plus she told you the boy she gave you was neutered by injection which simply isn't possible.
So I personally wouldn't believe anything she tells you.

amy104

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There is such a thing as the Suprelorin implant which I think is injected. Its sometimes used in rats but I've never heard of it being used in a guinea pig.