Can pigs live with dogs?

Zinnypig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience of their guinea pigs living with dogs? In particular a British bulldog?
If so what is/ was the experience?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a dog and piggies but my dog is a cockapoo and the pigs live outdoors. Occasionally the dog is allowed into the piggies garden with me but not often. He is very interested but they are secure in their hutch and he's never out of my sight. As long as you train your dog properly, keep your piggies secure and only have them in the same room (piggies still need to be secure in a cage) then they should be fine.

Mo & Stubbins & Vani

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! :)
I have two labs who live in the same house as my piggies. I have a gate in my doorway so that they do not interact.
Just make sure to avoid any contact between the animals -- this could lead to a highly stressful situation.
You can also purchase a lid for your enclosure (if you have a c and c cage). You can also use an elevated enclosure (secured on top of some sort of desk, table, etc.).
Overall, I have never had any problems whatsoever.

flowerfairy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a collie and a labrador and 5 guinea pigs. The dogs are not allowed in the guinea pig room. Tass (collie) was very intrigued when she first heard their noises but calm words and distractions helped her to just ignore them.