• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Can she be blind even though the eye looks normal?

CavyConnoisseur

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 2 year old Lunkarya sow Dolly was born with a congenital cataract in her left eye, she has little or no vision from that eye.

However her right eye looks normal and we assume there are no vision issues with it, but for some reason she never looks at me or at things with her 'good' eye, she only looks with her bad eye that has the cataract? She hates being touched or having her hair cut on the good side too.

This has made me wonder why, maybe she is blind in the normal looking eye too? Or is there a reason she uses her bad eye more?

I just wanted to come here for opinions as I'm curious. Dolly is extremely sweet but she's also very skittish, assuming because of her vision problems.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
My 2 year old Lunkarya sow Dolly was born with a congenital cataract in her left eye, she has little or no vision from that eye.

However her right eye looks normal and we assume there are no vision issues with it, but for some reason she never looks at me or at things with her 'good' eye, she only looks with her bad eye that has the cataract? She hates being touched or having her hair cut on the good side too.

This has made me wonder why, maybe she is blind in the normal looking eye too? Or is there a reason she uses her bad eye more?

I just wanted to come here for opinions as I'm curious. Dolly is extremely sweet but she's also very skittish, assuming because of her vision problems.
Hi!

Yes, guinea pigs can be blind with perfectly normal looking eyes, the same way as humans can. It is not easy to diagnose though. You may need an experienced vet.

Concentrate on enrichment for her other (stronger) senses. The little brindle aby in the guide was actually becoming blind very early in her life with congenital cataracts.
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs