• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Can Shrews harm or kill a Guinea pig? Dose anyone know !

Shawna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have found shrews in my house 2 of them so far , first thinking it was a Mole, I came to discover it's a short tailed shrew witch is the one venomous mammal small like a mouse. Reading on it, it says it can kill mice and such. I am a newbie to having piggies so thought I'd ask more seasoned owners. If they have heard of this?, or are Guinea pigs to big?, am I working for no reason?.

Are you in the u.k or america? It sais the american ones have enough venom to kill 200 mice. By the looks of it, they are omnivores, just like gerbils. I wouldnt risk them getting at your guinea pigs. See if you can get them away.

Apparently they are close related to a mole, and are not rodents

Shrews eat insects and earthworms, so there is nothing which would attract them to your piggy cage at all, unlike rats and mice which would eat leftover piggy food. I never heard of a shrew killing anything but its dinner, though it is true they are venomous. It is probably fine, like spiders they could potentially be venomous but have zero interest in your piggies. Though if shrews are there you might want to look at what else is living in your house that they are eating!

Makes me feel better .Yes I read they eat bugs but as well small birds, mice extra. And they (piggys) are in my son's room the finished basement bedroom where we cought the 2 shrews.

Makes me feel better .Yes I read they eat bugs but as well small birds, mice extra. And they (piggys) are in my son's room the finished basement bedroom where we cought the 2 shrews.
Did you let them go far away?

Live in Canada
Are you in the you.k or america? It sais the american ones have enough venom to kill 200 mice. By the looks of it, they are omnivores, just like gerbils. I wouldnt risk them getting at your guinea pigs. See if you can get them away.

Apparently they are close related to a mole, and are not rodents
Yes I have been reading ALOT about them I have searched the house for holes but they can get in a dime slot and traps don't seem to work we had to sit and wait till we seen one then but a tin over it and then took it on the other side of the highway 7 kilometers away that was 3 weeks ago and just seen another one out side.

Back