• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Can someone help me? - bald patch on back

Radraych97

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’m a new piggie owner and I’ve only had my 2 girls for 9 days but I noticed that Winnie has had a developing bald spot on her back. She’s a very happy girl and popcorns all the time so I was just thinking maybe she was just biting herself. BUT. I’ve been doing research trying to figure out what’s going on and I think it might be mites. I took a picture of the spot so y’all could see. And if it’s mites, is there a way to treat them at home?

Attachments

• E45108A9-A868-4C13-B393-7ED024414A71.jpeg
    E45108A9-A868-4C13-B393-7ED024414A71.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 17
It could be mites or another skin condition which should only be diagnosed by a Vet.

If it is mites, this has to be treated by 3 treatments by the Vet.

This looks awfully like ringworm and will need to be seen by a vet asap. It could be mites but that circular shape looks very like ringworm. It looks very sore. Please see a vet straight away this isnt anything home treatment could deal with, if it is ringworm it can infect humans and other pets too.
Hope piggy is ok please keep us posted!

I’m a new piggie owner and I’ve only had my 2 girls for 9 days but I noticed that Winnie has had a developing bald spot on her back. She’s a very happy girl and popcorns all the time so I was just thinking maybe she was just biting herself. BUT. I’ve been doing research trying to figure out what’s going on and I think it might be mites. I took a picture of the spot so y’all could see. And if it’s mites, is there a way to treat them at home?

Hi and welcome

It could be mange mites, but is rather more likely to turn out to be ringworm, which is the most infectious and transmittable form of a fungal skin infection (including transmission to humans and other pet species). Please see a vet for it and do not treat on spec; you can make easily things worse than better. Please do not dab anything on the spot to allow your vet a proper diagnosis and immediate treatment.

You can reclaim the vet cost from the pet shop you have got your piggies from as exposure and infection has happened there; it is within your customer rights.
Please take the time to read this link here for more information on how to go about this: What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)

My guinea pig had a bald spot when he was very stress in his old home since it was a hoarding situation. It could be that he was stressed and took out his hair on purpose. If he lives in calm clean house ( which it looks like he does!) it could be mites or other piggies attacking the poor little boy. Sometimes muted take out the energy out of guinea pigs so if he doesn’t really want to move too, that’s a strong sign it could be mites.

Back