• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Can someone please advise me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea-wiggles

Reaction score
Hi if anyone's read my other post about the guinea pig I got from a horrible garden centre I was wondering if you could pleeeease help me.
To cut the story short Shy the Guinea pig insn't very well she was covered in mites/lice etc and has really bad sores all over her back end.
She's seen a vet and appart from the obvious she's ok well she's been overbred and possible pregnant again).
The help/advice I need is that she wont eat I put veg and food in with her on monday and she's not touched it no bite marks or anything.
So yesterday I chopped the veg up in to small pieces and counted them and she still didn't eat anything although I did catch her nibbling the newpaper & woodshavings lining the bottom of the cage and the odd bit of hay.
Today I gave her 3 different pieces of small chopped veg and she's had a nibble of the celery.
I'm starting to get worried (although the vet checked her over, teeth included and said she was ok) why wont she eat....could it be that she doesn't know what they are as she only had newspaper, woodshavings and rabbit food to nibble on whilst she was in the hell hole.
Also she doesn't move much, she just sits facing the darkest corner she can find and she'll stay there for hours, it's upsetting to watch.
I'll pick her up and move her to another corner of the cage but she go back to where she was.
I don't think she can see very well either and it's breaking my heart to watch her.
Can anyone recommend any treats, toys advice etc that might get her motivated in to eating, playing or just moving as all she wants to do is lay down or snuggle if you hold her....none of my other 6 piggies are like this and never have been, I'd love to put her in with my other older girls outside but one she's poorly at the mo, 2 my other girls could catch her fungal infection 3 I'm scared she'll die of cold from just staying in one place.

sophiew (EAGPR)

Reaction score
Unfortunately sitting with their head in the corner is a sure sign that something isn't right :red

Is she eating much hay? Is she pooping normally? Drinking? If not then you might have to syringe feed her. Guineas are designed to graze constantly; if they stop, their guts go into stasis and the outlook is not good.

Guineas are naturally suspicious of unfamiliar foods. Because they can't vomit, to ingest something that might be poisonous is really serious, so they are wary of things they haven't tried before. Because you don't know what food she is used to, you need to introduce new stuff really slowly (one new thing at a time, monitor, if no upset then introduce next new thing the next day).

Have you tried picking some grass for her? Guineas will often eat fresh grass if all else fails.

Has she got a dark hidey hole? Can you cover her cage with a blanket? It might all be a bit much for her

Sophie
x

piggylips102

Reaction score
Sorry to hear Shy is poorly, Hope shes feeling better soon, Sending lot's of love Shy's way x)

Guinea-wiggles

Reaction score
Unfortunately sitting with their head in the corner is a sure sign that something isn't right :red

Is she eating much hay? Is she pooping normally? Drinking? If not then you might have to syringe feed her. Guineas are designed to graze constantly; if they stop, their guts go into stasis and the outlook is not good.

Guineas are naturally suspicious of unfamiliar foods. Because they can't vomit, to ingest something that might be poisonous is really serious, so they are wary of things they haven't tried before. Because you don't know what food she is used to, you need to introduce new stuff really slowly (one new thing at a time, monitor, if no upset then introduce next new thing the next day).

Have you tried picking some grass for her? Guineas will often eat fresh grass if all else fails.
Has she got a dark hidey hole? Can you cover her cage with a blanket? It might all be a bit much for her

Sophie
x
Thanks xx
She's pooping & weeing now, she wasn't until late monday night though.
She's eating bits and bobs but very tiny amounts I really do not think she knows what veg is poor thing.
She has a hidy hole that she can go in but hasn't yet (to my knowledge) I don't know if she's more active at night when we're in bed but she's happiest the most when she's being cuddled.
I've just managed to get her to eat some peeled carrot, so she can eat (I previously thought that there could be something wrong with her teeth but the vet says not) I'm just worried she'll get poorly inside aswell as the bad skin on her back.
Do you think it could just be because she has to settle in to her new environment?
I read somewhere in a guinea pig book that you can cook potatos then peel the skin & mix it with broad bran and give it to piggies that are unwell and that you can give them brown bread in milk has anyone else heard of this?

ThisLittlePiggie

Reaction score
Hi,
Yes I read somewhere about the boiled off potato skin with broad bran and the brown bread soaked in milk is meant to help poorly piggies and pregnant/lactating sows apparently.
I also read (in the same book) that an occasional change to Pasture Mix containing molasses for horses is relished by piggies.

Good luck with her, she's a real sweetie
x

Guinea-wiggles

Reaction score
I'm stuck I'm just worried she'll become really poorly all my other piggies are.....well pigs (for want of a better word) they really are greedy little things but I've only seen her nibble a few things.
I'm just wondering if I should hold her and she if I can hand feed her some peeled veg it's probably a whole new world to her.
On the plus side her skin around her back end is looking much healthier already so I'm so glad about that.

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think that maybe its the whole change of environment/feeling poorly which may be affecting her appetite. Maybe if you cover half the cage with a blanket (suggested above) that'll give her more comfort of being in the dark which is calming. Put any food near to her, as she may be scared to venture out and get it. Also, even though she was fed rabbit pellets before it might be worth finding out what one so that you can provide some of that mixed in with guinea pig pellets to wean her off it/adjust the tummy. Also maybe try putting the water bottle to her lips to see if she will drink. A treat which even my shy Doris will take from the hand is something called 'Natures salad' which is sold at the pet store I work at: www.petscorner.co.uk there might be one near you. It is quite pricey but my guineas love it, it contains natural bits and bobs like alfalfa, dandelion, pea flakes, nettle, peppermint etc. Don't give it all the time though because it contains wheat.
Oh also, maybe you could put a vitamin C supplement in her drinking water? just in case she isn't getting enough from her diet. Although make sure you change the water/fresh supplement regularly as it doesn't hold for long.
Hope this helps :(
Poor Shy
x

Guinea-wiggles

Reaction score
I use the vitamin c solution for all my guinea pigs (just in case) but I'll try that other stuff you suggested..Thanks.
I don't know what to do and feel a bit helpless at the mo, if I could see her eat more I'd be a little calmer and more reassured.

Guinea-wiggles

Reaction score
I think that maybe its the whole change of environment/feeling poorly which may be affecting her appetite. Maybe if you cover half the cage with a blanket (suggested above) that'll give her more comfort of being in the dark which is calming. Put any food near to her, as she may be scared to venture out and get it. Also, even though she was fed rabbit pellets before it might be worth finding out what one so that you can provide some of that mixed in with guinea pig pellets to wean her off it/adjust the tummy. Also maybe try putting the water bottle to her lips to see if she will drink. A treat which even my shy Doris will take from the hand is something called 'Natures salad' which is sold at the pet store I work at: www.petscorner.co.uk there might be one near you. It is quite pricey but my guineas love it, it contains natural bits and bobs like alfalfa, dandelion, pea flakes, nettle, peppermint etc. Don't give it all the time though because it contains wheat.
Oh also, maybe you could put a vitamin C supplement in her drinking water? just in case she isn't getting enough from her diet. Although make sure you change the water/fresh supplement regularly as it doesn't hold for long.
Hope this helps :(
Poor Shy
x
I've just looked at the link and the stuff advertised is for sale at the horrible place where I got Shy from, as much as I do not want to buy anything from them If I can't get her to eat anything else I may have to :(
Thanks for the link though xx

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's not a Pets Corner with the mis-treated animals is it?! I would be very shocked. Or is it a separate place which sells the same stock?

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's not a Pets Corner with the mis-treated animals is it?! I would be very shocked. Or is it a separate place which sells the same stock?

Guinea-wiggles

Reaction score
OH no sorry I don't think I worded that to well.
The place where Shy is from stocks the same product as where you work (sorry)

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh good :) hardly any of our stores stock animals now anyway I'm happy to say. x

amentalcat

Reaction score
If you get really stuck you might try some pureed baby food. Its only something that i have had to use about 3 times with severely ill piggies, but it does sometimes tempt them to eat as its sweet. I use a fruit only one, or a veg only one, and normally an organic one with no extra suger/colour etc. Try her with a bit on a spoon, she may not like it, but its worth a try, you can also mix a little with some bran into a bran mash.

I wouldn't give her very much, it is very concentrated, but it might be worth a go.

Best of luck!

oh, the other thing you can try is metatone, from the chemists/boots - its a multivitamin liquid that boosts the appetite a bit.

Fingers crossed

Ali xx

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I can see why you are so concerned about Shy, it may take her a while to settle and learn to eat the good food she is given. In the meantime, two things come to mind so far.

1. Don't add Vit C to the drinking water, simply for the reason that she won't get a useful dose out of it. Unless she drains the entire bottle, drinks every drop of it, she could be getting next to no Vit C. I use Tesco Chewable Vit C tablets, the 200mg ones, I cut in half, crush up and mix with 2ml water, and syringe directly into pig. It is the only way you know the pig is definitely getting the dose needed.

2. Weigh her daily. With her having skin issues especially I would strongly advise being aware that if there is no weight gain, you need to syringe feed, and if still no weight gain with those syringe feeds, there could be a systemic parasitic or fungal issue, in which case you need a vet onside who will listen to you and treat as recommended. (For systemic parasites, the info is in the "worming" reference thread, and for systemic fungal, it is in a topic of the same name)

Lots of luck with her, do keep us updated when you can.

Dindypig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As mentioned by others before, these are some of the things you could try her with. Fresh grass, slices of cucumber, slices of celery, couliflower leaves and green salady type leaves placed near her. Try putting the water bottle to her lips so that she gets her lips wet.
Other people have mentioned these ideas in this post but as all of these ideas have helped me in the past I thought I would group them all together for you. She needs time to adjust so her appatite may be a little slow. If she's loving cuddles then she seams to be on the mend.

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awww the poor little thing, as if she hasnt been through enough already eh?

Just wanted to wish you luck with her, if only it was as easy as picking them up and hugging them and telling them everthing will be ok now ?/

Hope she picks up soon, i think you did a good thing just for the record :)

Guinea-wiggles

Reaction score
Awww the poor little thing, as if she hasnt been through enough already eh?

Just wanted to wish you luck with her, if only it was as easy as picking them up and hugging them and telling them everthing will be ok now ?/

Hope she picks up soon, i think you did a good thing just for the record :)
Thank you but I think anyone would have done the same thing.

I am pleased to say that during the night she has eaten a 3" piece of celery, a slice of cucumber and a whole raddish and I marked her water bottle with a felt tip pen and it's gone down slightly not much but at least I know she's had a drink.
I feel so much better knowing that she's eating even if it's only a little bit to start with.
I've treated her with her medicine this morning and after a cuddle I've put her back in to the cage directly on to the food ledge and she was nibbling a bit of lettuce and carrot.
My daughter came running in to tell me that she saw shy (wow say that drunk lol) eating the proper food so even though she's only had a bit at least she's had some.
Her skin is looking better day by day to, I'm gonna post some pics soon to show everyone how much better she's looking.

A big thank you to everyone for your advice and kind words, it's much appreciatedxxx

Guinea-wiggles

Reaction score
I'm still really concerned for shy's health as she doesn't seem to be touching her food or water (I've been marking the bottle and it hasn't moved since yesterday morning) I haven't seen her voluntary eat anything since my last post either, I've soaked some brown bread in warm milk (advice for poorly piggies from a care book) she took a couple of bites but nothing else.
She seems to like having the melted vitamin C tablet in 2ml of water from a syringe though, should I give her more water say 2ml's every so many hours if her water bottle isn't going down as she loves to take the liquid from the syringe but not a water bottle (strange).
My bf says he saw her nibbling an apple slice this morning, but her food looks untouched to me.
I've spoken to a petshop owner in chesterfield who's really nice (and keeps her animals in good condition with decent pens) and she said that shy could be depressed as she has no company (although she did say not to put any pigs near her cos of her fungal) or that she needs time to adjust to the situation or that she could be missing her babies (they're still at the garden centre, her babies are around 12 weeks old so I hope they were both girls).
Also I mentioned about shy being grumpy if her belly is touched and she said it is possible that she could be pregnant again as pregnant sows do not like being touched around that area.
I haven't heard her wheek yet and it's upsetting for me as all of my other piggies are so noisy, I've even downloaded some guinea pigs wheeking on my iphone and played it near her (yes I know I sad) and she could hear it and had a sniff at my phone but never made a sound.
I just want her to get better, she can have whatever she needs, I'm just a bit lost as to what to try next and I feel useless:(.
If anything happens to her I'll feel like it's all my fault, I've tried hand feeding her, sugary treats, musli type animal bars, fresh veg (I've even chopped it tiny and grated it).
So if anyone has anymore advice and help please let me know cos I'll try anything.
The only plus is that her skin is looking better and better everyday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.