• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

can someone please give me some advice, Extremely poorly piggie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Been to the vets this morning but my normal vet has left and the lady i saw clearly doesn't know anything about piggies.

In the last 24hours my piggy has stopped eating completely, though he clearly wants to as he gets excited by parsley etc but cant actually eat it, he was dribbling yesterday but isn't today and the vet can see one tooth that isn't right and needs sorting BUT he's far too weak to go under general anesthetic.

He's also got weeping eyes and can barely walk as he has no energy to carry himself.

I have some supreme recovery and I'm trying to syringe feed as much as i can, he chews on the syringe but most comes back out of his mouth.

I'm going back to the vets at 5.20 as i suggested he may need b vitamins due to being impacted, she told me she couldn't inject them as she didn't know dosage and it wasn't lisenced for pigs, i then came straight home and did some research and saw it was common practice to inject b vits in guineas so phoned her imedietly and she said she would and to come back up later....i'm starting to think he needs some fluids as well, what do i ask for?

He's literally at deaths door and as my vet is clearly not good with guineas i dont know what i can do? Please someone give me some advice I'm completely out of my depth and I'm worried shes gonna want to put him to sleep this evening but id rather give him the best chance i can?!?!

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
no advice but wondered whereabouts you lived, maybe someone knows a guinea pig vet nearby?

hope he picks up soon, good luck

Reaction score
I'm in st ives cornwall.....there is an extreme lack of exotic vets anywhere nearby

I also cant drive....

Gems

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm so sorry, I don't know what to suggest, the dribbling and willingness to eat but being unable to definitely indicates teeth or mouth issues but I agree that an anaesthetic whilst he's so weak is risky. He'll need to be syringed fluids and rescue remedy or a pellet sludge you can make up by pouring some boiled water over his pellets, leaving it to cool and mashing it to a smooth type of paste, he may find this more palatable if your not having any luck with the rescue remedy? Which brand are you using as I have used Oxbow Critical Care in the past and all the piggies I've used it on have loved it so if you can get some I'd recommend this.

Reaction score
Try Vedra at Cambridge Cavy Trust, she's not near you but might be able to recommend a rodentologist that could look at his teeth without anaesthetic.

http://www.britishassociationofrodentologists.co.uk/

There is an art to syringe feeding, some good tips here:

http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Have you tried grating his food up (carrot, apple etc) as if he has got bad teeth, they can sometimes still manage grated food.

For lack of appetite, try Metatone tonic (for people!) from the chemist or Tesco. 0.5 ml or so - it does seem to perk them up and promote their appetite.

If his mouth is sore or fungal then Daktarin oral gel (again, for humans) can help but you really need to get to the cause of the problem. I hope some of this helps - but do try Vedra, text if you can't get through on the phone, she's very busy but does know a lot.

Sophie
x

Reaction score
i've changed my appointment for in 15mins time, i'm gonna ask for some fluids/b vits and maybe a painkiller?

Hes so weak i dont know how he could possibly pull through.
I've got the supreme science recovery food he seems to like it but doesn't seem to be swalloing it though is keen to chew on syringe.

Can someone link me to the thread on syringe feeding please?

Reaction score
See above :)

They might give him fluids under the skin to rehydrate him, a painkiller would help too. They may also give you something like Pro Kolin or similar to help his guts. The trouble with guineas is that not eating is really serious - as their guts stop moving and it's hard to kick start them again.

Wishing you luck at the vets

Sophie
x

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Shannon, so sorry to hear your piggie is so unwell.

I can email you a factsheet about syringe feeding (send me an email at guineapighelpline@hotmail.co.uk and I shall reply right away), hopefully you will be able to get his weight up and him physically stronger in order to have his treatment, a real pain it would be under GA but if it is truly the only way he would get any help, I'd be doing everything possible to get his physical condition improved ASAP. It will be hard work and he'll have to have his food and fluid intake increased drastically - absolute minimum 100-120ml spread between at least 5-6 syringe feeds (given he is so weak and needs to be strong enough for GA) and 40ml fluids minimum.

SubQ (injected/subcutaneous/subcut) fluids, if the vet can show you how to inject these it can make a real difference, you can do them at home (I learnt to do them this year) if the vet gives you the 10ml syringes, needles and the correct fluids (I use Aqupharm no 11). I also have some tips I can share if it does come to that.

I would also start him on pain relief (children's Nurofen, dose 0.2ml 2x daily for an adult piggie) to ease any pain he may be feeling from his dental problem, and Daktarin Oral Gel (0.5ml 3x daily) to rule out an oral fungal problem, which can cause the symptoms you describe - and can be present along with a dental problem. The Daktarin can also soothe the mouth to a degree when there are/have been dental problems.

It is a deeply frustrating situation and I really feel for you. I feel frustrated yet again by the fact it's still a postcode lottery when it comes to vets who can actually treat piggies, apalling how you have people in, say Northampton who can rely totally on Simon Maddock, and then people like yourself who just cannot trust their vet.

Anyway, whatever happens, we are all here for you. I am on the end of the phone/email if needs be, number is on my website.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Your piggy seems to have tooth trouble (most probably overgrown molars/back teeth).

Please hand feed him with either mushed pellets, Critical Care powder made up with water or vegetable purees and make sure that he gets enough fluid and vitamin C as well. Weigh him daily while you are searching for a suitable vet. Have you got a guinea pig rescue in Cornwall who could recommend one?

Here is more about hand feeding (especially which amounts):
http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36533
http://www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html

Reaction score
thanks for all the replies.

I've just come back from the vets, shes given him metacam for any pain, some b vitamins and sub-q fluids.

She's given me some fluids to inject myself this evening.
I don't know which fluids she has given me I'm afraid. But she put 15ml into him at the vets and has given me another 15ml to do later on tonight.

I've emailed laura for the factsheet and shall read up on everything right now.

He's back in his cage, how long before everything should kick in?

The main probelm I'm having with syringe feeding is most of it coming back out of his mouth, hes very keen to eat i'm hoping its pain related and the painkiller may help?

Reaction score
he's also dropped down to just 585grams :(

I'm kinda beating myself up as there not even my pet, they are my sisters but she's been doing them for the past few days and i presumed they would be ok but she failed to spot him going down hill :(

Reaction score
i don't have any advise about how to help the little one, but just want to send you my love and support. it must be horrible seeing him suffering like this and i really pray that the medicines you have for him help him start looking up. hugs. xxxxx

Reaction score
i've tried offering him it on a spoon and at first he's very interested but rather than lap it up he seems to just put his mouth in it and then thats it he's not interested anymore....

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've replied to your email, I hope the factsheet and tips of SubQ fluids helps you.

It's likely that, if there is an overgrowth problem with his molars, each time he eats and move his tongue to swallow, the problem teeth are rubbing on the tongue and making it sore. Either that, or the whole of the mouth feels sore due to an oral fungal issue - hence dosing with Daktarin, just to be sure, as white plaques in the mouth are not always visible with these problems.

I hope the Metacam will kick in ASAP, what's the dosage the vet advised (and is it cat or dog strength)?

Reaction score
well i've just managed to get 7ml recovery into him and 2ml water, syringe feeding going much better now ive read lauras factsheet many thanks!

I just went out and cut a load of yummy grass and mixed it with parsley and grated carrot unfortunatly despite being very keen and diving into the bowl (big shallow one) he sat still for a moment or two then pulled himself back out with out eating anything :(

His movements are very jerky like he's struggling to support himself? is this normal and down to weakness?

i'm just about to read up on injecting sub-q fluids as that is my next challenge.

Reaction score
I've replied to your email, I hope the factsheet and tips of SubQ fluids helps you.

It's likely that, if there is an overgrowth problem with his molars, each time he eats and move his tongue to swallow, the problem teeth are rubbing on the tongue and making it sore. Either that, or the whole of the mouth feels sore due to an oral fungal issue - hence dosing with Daktarin, just to be sure, as white plaques in the mouth are not always visible with these problems.

I hope the Metacam will kick in ASAP, what's the dosage the vet advised (and is it cat or dog strength)?

Missed this question sorry, she gave him an injection of it so not sure what dosage etc and i said i would ring in the morning r.e more painkillers and a possible gut drug to kick start it again.

He's so desperate to eat i just held some thinly sliced carrot to his mouth and he bites onto it but doesn't keep chewing and swallowing it etc :(

Reaction score
I'm sorry your guinea pig is not well - i have been through this with one of mine before - i really hope you get him to eat something and he starts feeling better soon - its so hard seeing them like this and you want to do anything to help them x

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You can liquidise the grass/ carrot/ parsley and syringe feed him that as well. It all helps to get fluids and nutrients into him.

Hope your boy starts feeling better soon. xx>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.