• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Can't Make my Mind up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

carrot_tit

Hi. I'm going to be new to Guinea Pig keeping and have spent the last few months reading books and checking out the internet before i actually took the plunged and got a couple. There's just one area i can't decide on, where to get a boar or a sow. I currently own pet rats and I've always preferred bucks as they are larger, usually dafter and will put up with my cuddles! I'll want the same thing in a Guinea Pig but it doesn't seem to say in any of the books which is better? I know that Guinea Pigs are like rats and each one has their own personality so there's no definite 100% correct answer but I'm just wanting the opinions of other owners. Which do you guys think prefer to cuddle and generally put up with me!

Hi there! I'm new to piggies too and I've got boars at the moment, one on his own and two young ones live together. If you go down the rescue route, you could get a neutered boar with a sow (or two!).

I'm sure someone else with loads of pigs will be along soon to give you pros/cons of each sex!

Kathryn xx

There is a thread here somewhere that discusses the pros and cons of both sexes, when I get back if someone hasn't already dug it out i'll do it :)

Haven't had girls but I love my boys they are soooo loving :D

Hiya i stuck with boars to start with as they are daft and cuddly but they can fight if u get more than one as they get older so i have an older one and a younger one in together as this works best for me though i now have two sows and they are just as daft though prefer the company of the other piggies so i would always say to little boars are best though its just my opinion and it should be your desision

I love my boars personally. My most cuddly pig is a little sow though.

It's not nice for a piggie to be all on their own. I have lots of single boars but they all live side by side so they can still interact with their own kind. I think pigs that live their lives never seeing, hearing or smelling another pig live a lonely life. I would recommend getting a pair of pigs - either boars or sows to start with as they are such lovely company for each other.

I'm Sarah and I'm 26 too :D

I got my two pigs in May and went for two boys. They are lovely and cuddly. I used to keep girls when I was little and they were lovely too, but I'd said my two boys are more laid back and get on with each other better than any of the girls did.

Let us know what you decide. Are you going to keep them indoors? I would if I were you :)

Hi! :)

I have both boars and sows, but have always found the boys to be more cuddly, but girls to be less problematic! :D

Well I've read your posts and followed the link that Cashmincal very kindly supplied and I've decided!

I'm going to get boars! They will be living in my house as i don't like keeping animals outside, when winter comes i don't want to go out so how can you expect them to!

I have sows (4) + 2 rescues which more than likely will push my own number up to 6!

I really like the sows temperament. I have a hectic life style & they are really happy being left to their own devices for a couple of days (ie not being picked up- not abandoned!) but are happy and enjoy a cuddle when they get it which is usually about 4x per week.
I have found that if you have a feisty young sow that she will mellow after the hormonal teens into a lovely lady with bags of character!
I have 1 who has turned out that way. She was a bit of a trouble maker with the older girls and used to give me a nibble when I picked her up. Would bolt at the first sign of me. Now she's the first at the cage to greet me. It looks like the Lilac pig I got from Mary is going the same way! I think I should have called her Beyonce because she shakes her bum at any pig who goes near. Not worked out yet if she is just inviting (!) or warning them.... quite a long season on reflection!
She will now stand still for a stroke on the head.
Blimey I've gone off on a tangent sorry!

I would get a couple of pigs from a rescue & they will be able to sort you out with the temperament you are looking for - male or female.

I was trying to decide where to get my first few from. I was going to get from a breeder as i know how reassuring they can be when you have a problem, but i also know there are loads of needy piggies in rescues out there, so i just cannot decide where to get from. I'm guessing that now i'm a regular on this forum i can always turn here for advice so i'm guessing that as soon as i'm ready i'll go out and look round my local shelters.

I'd preferably like one that rescues just Guinea Pigs, i know there used to be one in Castleford called Squeek Pigs but i'm pretty sure it has closed down now and i did hear there was one in Altofts, West Yorkshire but cannot find any contact details for it. Has anyone else heard of them?

Squeaky Pigs has been closed for a couple of years now.

Have a look on www.guineapigrehome.org.uk for other rescues in your area.

I have a pair of sows ready for rehoming now and am expecting at least one pair of boars in next weekend - I'm in Birmingham though so I'm not sure if it is any use to you!

kellyandpiggies said:
Hi! :)

I have both boars and sows, but have always found the boys to be more cuddly, but girls to be less problematic! :D

could'nt have put it better, my 33 piggys are mixed and boys are more daft and approcable girls dont cause half as many problems all my 16 girls live together in one hugh run, and they never fight,

I think if i was planning on having a lot of piggies i might go for sows but i only really want two as i never like to take in more animals than i think i can handle if i get poorly again.

Mind you i said that about rats and still ended up with 14 at one point ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back