• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Can't tell what sex is my piggy! Please help

Norrc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello dear forum users!
I have read many posts and guides, watched videos and other stuff about sexing guinea pigs, but mine looks kinda peculiar and all I am getting is more and more confusion.
I got my piggie from a relative of mine 3 months ago (she was 4 weeks old back then). I was told she was a girl and never had any reasons to doubt it.
But recently we decided to adopt one more piggie so our "porko" isn't lonely.
So I tried to check the gender by myself, but I can't find any definitive clues. When I try to have a peek inside, I can't see this "fleshy insides" that many people talk about when sexing.
The shape itself looks like Y to me, and nothing seems to come out after gently pushing on the belly just above the "pimple". But what is bugging me the most is that I can surely feel "something" when I run my fingers over there... Is it normal for my piggie to have such underwhelmingly developed genitals?

116291860-580110812871906-8133923667644810432-n

I really appreciate your help.
Please let me know If I should explain something else or take other pictures.
Cheers!

The fleshy seal is quite distinct... if possible try and gently part the slit so you can see inside a little. If you can take a clear photo of that we can perhaps help you.

The penis ridge is also quite clear when you feel it. Have you looked at our sexing guide? If you scroll down you can see what the fleshy seal looks like.
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Hello dear forum users!
I have read many posts and guides, watched videos and other stuff about sexing guinea pigs, but mine looks kinda peculiar and all I am getting is more and more confusion.
I got my piggie from a relative of mine 3 months ago (she was 4 weeks old back then). I was told she was a girl and never had any reasons to doubt it.
But recently we decided to adopt one more piggie so our "porko" isn't lonely.
So I tried to check the gender by myself, but I can't find any definitive clues. When I try to have a peek inside, I can't see this "fleshy insides" that many people talk about when sexing.
The shape itself looks like Y to me, and nothing seems to come out after gently pushing on the belly just above the "pimple". But what is bugging me the most is that I can surely feel "something" when I run my fingers over there... Is it normal for my piggie to have such underwhelmingly developed genitals?

116291860-580110812871906-8133923667644810432-n

I really appreciate your help.
Please let me know If I should explain something else or take other pictures.
Cheers!

Hi and welcome!

Unfortunately you have got a bit of an 'in-betweenie' when it comes to the outside appearance.

Which means that you need to rely on the hands-on part of any sexing which looks and feels for some less obvious but much more gender divisive areas that will be the clincher. Unfortunately we can only show you where to look and feel but not this for you. It is one of the major limitations when working online. We can do this only with our own piggies - and we always do this to make absolutely sure that we know the gender and are not just guessing at it.
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Please take the time to look at and re
ad our sexing guide. It tells you exactly what to do with all the relevant comparison pictures and some nice arrows as to where you can feel a tiny penis shaft under the skin (where sows) have nothing.
The other area to look at is the inside of the slit - sows have a fleshy seal just below the opening wheras boars have a straight slit when you gently pry the slit apart.
If both these areas (presence/absence of a penis above the knob and presence/absence of a female fleshy pads seal inside the slit) come back with the same answer you can be sure that you have the right answer.
If you have the mother, too, then please look at her first so you know how a sow looks and feels.

You best ask somebody else to hold your piggy while you investigate. Please use our green sexing guide link to try and learn how to sex your baby. Knowing where to look and what to look out for to sex a piggy correctly is not the worst life skill to acquire!

Thank you for your insight!

Of course, I have read your sexing guide back to back many times over. But I still feel puzzled.
After giving it some thought I start to lean toward the idea that my piggy may indeed be a he.
All my attempts to produce his willy failed, but when opening his butt a little I don't see anything "fleshy" and the shape seems oval.
I tried to take some additional pictures. I hope these shed some light on the issue.
In the worst-case scenario, I will need to take him to a vet, but here on the foreign soil things get much more complicated...

Once again, I really appreciate your help and I am looking forward to connecting with your wonderful community in the future.

Thank you for your insight!

Of course, I have read your sexing guide back to back many times over. But I still feel puzzled.
After giving it some thought I start to lean toward the idea that my piggy may indeed be a he.
All my attempts to produce his willy failed, but when opening his butt a little I don't see anything "fleshy" and the shape seems oval.
I tried to take some additional pictures. I hope these shed some light on the issue.
In the worst-case scenario, I will need to take him to a vet, but here on the foreign soil things get much more complicated...

Once again, I really appreciate your help and I am looking forward to connecting with your wonderful community in the future.

Hi!

That looks very much like a fleshy sow seal in there.
Please look at the comparison pictures in our sexing guide to see for yourself!
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Back