• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Caramel has slightly laboured breathing. Vet prescribed Baytril

Ruby Inferno

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 6.5 year old boar Caramel has been breathing deeper and faster than normal, like he's putting more effort into it. I don't know if that's just his age though. The vet said she couldn't listen to his breathing properly because his chest cavity is too small even though she had a small stethoscope, and he was nervous and breathing erratically anyway, but based off what I told her she's treating it as a respiratory infection.

He's been prescribed 0.4ml of Baytril to be given twice daily, mixed with diluted pineapple juice or ribena. I asked about probiotics, and the vet said Baytril won't affect his gut flora very much, but what I've read on this forum suggests otherwise. I'm concerned that vet doesn't know much about piggies.

I do not have any other piggies I could get poop soup from. I used to have 4, but all except Caramel have since passed due to old age.

For some background: Caramel has had a fatty lipoma on his back near his rear for maybe a year, he suffers from impactions which I clear out regularly, and he has mild arthritis which I give him CBD for. The vet said if it's not a bacterial infection it could be tumours, or it could simply be nothing - could his lipoma turn out to be cancerous? (I took him to a vet when I first noticed the lipoma, they said it was likely benign)

He otherwise looks and acts normal, is eating etc., though he has had a very slight wheeze (which my other piggies had in their old age) for a while. His breathing is just deeper and faster than usual. I'm worried about him, and I don't want to put him through anything unnecessary especially because of his age.

I'm really not sure what to do. Does anyone have any advice? I love my baby so much, I don't want to lose him.

If it was me, I’d feel more comfortable having him checked by a different vet.
please don’t give pineapple juice, it is far too acidic.
Some antibiotics are tolerated better than others but baytril is one which can upset the tummy and giving a probiotic alongside is our common advice (I currently have a rabbit on baytril and will be giving fibreplex)

has the vet okayed the use of CBD?

I’m sorry your boy is unwell. I don’t know what the lipoma could be. I think only the vet could tell you what it is you’re dealing with. Has it grown much in the passing time?

I would deal with his suspected URI and then see where to go from there. Baytril does affect a lot of piggy’s guts so I would give the probiotic. I keep forgetting but I believe it’s either 1 hour before or 1 hour after giving the baytril. I also wouldn’t dilute it. That makes it more difficult to make sure he’s got the full dose.I find it a little odd that the vet couldn’t listen to his chest though...perhaps think about getting a second opinion.

I hope he starts improving when on the baytril.

If it was me, I’d feel more comfortable having him checked by a different vet.
please don’t give pineapple juice, it is far too acidic.
Some antibiotics are tolerated better than others but baytril is one which can upset the tummy and giving a probiotic alongside is our common advice (I currently have a rabbit on baytril and will be giving fibreplex)

has the vet okayed the use of CBD?
I agree, I think I will look into a different vet, though I don't know of any exotic vets that live nearby. I found her suggestion of pineapple juice/ribena very strange.

I mentioned the CBD and the vet hasn't commented on it.

I’m sorry your boy is unwell. I don’t know what the lipoma could be. I think only the vet could tell you what it is you’re dealing with. Has it grown much in the passing time?

I would deal with his suspected URI and then see where to go from there. Baytril does affect a lot of piggy’s guts so I would give the probiotic. I keep forgetting but I believe it’s either 1 hour before or 1 hour after giving the baytril. I also wouldn’t dilute it. That makes it more difficult to make sure he’s got the full dose.I find it a little odd that the vet couldn’t listen to his chest though...perhaps think about getting a second opinion.

I hope he starts improving when on the baytril.
It's grown slightly yes. I'm not sure where to get a probiotic from that would arrive quickly, any suggestions? I found it odd as well - vets have never had issues listening to my other piggies' breathing.

It's grown slightly yes. I'm not sure where to get a probiotic from that would arrive quickly, any suggestions? I found it odd as well - vets have never had issues listening to my other piggies' breathing.

Do you have Amazon prime? If so, you can get it from there.
i ordered my probiotic from Amazon yesterday evening and it arrived today

I ordered some probiotics and was waiting for them to arrive so I could use the Baytril, but Caramel has passed away overnight. I think it was just his time rather than a respiratory infection - I could tell his body was shutting down yesterday evening, as he was acting like my other piggy did when she died, so I tried spending as much time with him as possible.

I can't believe he's gone, I had him for most of my teenage years. He was such a wonderful little angel I just wish I'd have gone to a piggy knowledgeable vet first, maybe they could have detected something wrong :(

I’m so sorry for your loss. Sometimes it’s their time, despite everything we do. Take care of yourself and know you have him the best of everything 💞

Back