Caramel Loves His Cardboard Box!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruby Inferno

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Caramel lives in the bottom floor of a double hutch, his brother lives on the top. The reason for this is because they did not get along. After a lot of thought I have decided they will both be neutered soon and 6 weeks after the operation they'll be introduced to a sow each.

The bottom floor is a little colder than the top floor because it's lower down and, although one of the doors has no wire to help keep it warm, there isn't a proper sectioned off area for a bedroom unlike the top floor. To make up for this, I made a pigloo out of a cardboard box, put some newspaper on top of it, and buried it in hay in the far corner of the dark area of the hutch (if that makes sense). He absolutely loves it and frequently sleeps in it. In fact, he rarely sleeps anywhere other than the box.

Caramel is demonstrating his box perfectly, you can just about see him through the door. I took this straight after topping up his hay, so in the picture he is happily munching away while sitting in his favourite box. :)

Do you think the new girl'll hog the box? Heh.
When I introduce them I'll probably give the box to Caramel's brother (once he has also been introduced to his girl) and get a new one for Caramel and his new wife so it's all neutral territory. I might even make two boxes for each pair of piggies. :)

That sounds nice. I can only have long boxes in the cage so the three piggies won't squabble over one. Even if there's three for each pig, Minja will make an argument over them all while the other two were comfortable. :D

Haha! My pair of girlies (I will be splitting them up when my boars are ready for the introduction) used to have a Rosewood Carrot Cottage but they kept flipping it over and using it as a toilet so I had to throw it away. Hopefully they won't do that with any cardboard pigloos I might make for them...

Hopefully they won't. Right now, there's this long box I put it today and no squabbles so far, but Minja has taken a habit to jumping on top and if she decides to do her buisness on it, I'll have to throw it away. It would be a shame as they seem to really like this one. Where do you normally get boxes? I've had the luck of getting two giant ones from someone, but other than that I have no clue.

Cardboard igloos? I just stuff the box in there with door hah.

I think it was a delivery box for some Top Glove Disposable Gloves? I'm not sure exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was from a delivery.

You could put a towel/fleece/newspaper on top of the box to protect it from having to be thrown away?

I think it was a delivery box for some Top Glove Disposable Gloves? I'm not sure exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was from a delivery.

You could put a towel/fleece/newspaper on top of the box to protect it from having to be thrown away?
Actually I don't think they were Top Glove, I just ordered more and the boxes have print on them. Not sure where they were from exactly.

That's a very clever, inventive and caring idea. You obviously know what your piggies like and need. Well done!

Thank you. :)

The top glove delivery boxes are bigger than Caramel's pigloo so I could make a second pigloo to put around his, so it's like a doubly insulated pigloo, but I'm not sure if the ink is toxic or not so I will wait until I find out (I made a thread about that).

Just a quick question, but does Caramel nibble at the cardboard? It's also another reason I've had to throw so many away.

He doesn't seem to chew it, but I've decided not to use the Top Glove boxes because I'm not sure if they're safe or not.

His current pigloo has a code printed on the side in red ink, but it's against the wall of the hutch so he can't get to it even if it is toxic, and the box is buried in hay so he can't push it over and get to the ink that way. The box has no other printing elsewhere.

Alright then, thanks for answering my question. I'm pretty sure the piggies are chewing the other side of the box so I won't be tempted to get it out and have a look at it to see how much damage there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back