• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Caramel's Bottom Has Smelly White Crust On The Inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruby Inferno

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggy, Caramel, has a very smelly bottom and it doesn't smell like it normally does, it just smells weird and a little putrid. He also has white crust in his bottom. What is this white crust? Is it dried boar glue? If so, how can I get rid of it? I've never bathed a guinea pig before.

Boar bums can be very smelly! There is sometimes a need to clean out their bums. Try this link for info: http://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html and scroll down to 'a regular routine'.

Coconut oil (google for the correct type for cleaning) and cotton buds are particularly useful.

Bum cleaning best done in a well ventilated area ;)

The smelly white crust can be dried semen ("boar glue"); please express the penis as gently as you can and check for any rods. it is also advisable to clean out the pouches gently with a cotton bud and if necessary a bit of oil once a week.

Aw, poor Caramel. Yes, boar bums do better with regular gentle cleaning. If you follow the links above that will tell you how. I used to sit my foster boars with their back against my tummy and use pure cotton makeup removal pads with lukewarm water once a week. The wriggly ones got used to it eventually! Good luck and hope Caramel appreciates your efforts.

I dampened a couple of cotton buds and gave his bottom a good clean. It wasn't pleasant but it's clean now and it actually smells much less. I'll see how it is tomorrow. :)

I dampened a couple of cotton buds and gave his bottom a good clean. It wasn't pleasant but it's clean now and it actually smells much less. I'll see how it is tomorrow. :)
Well done! I am sure he will appreciate your efforts☺️. Make it a routine thing and it will stay pong free!

I didn't know you had to do this until I read about it on this Forum. But now I do the clean ups as a matter of course. Anything to keep the lads healthy.

Hmm it still smells a little bit, but not nearly as much. Will have another go tomorrow. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back