• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cardboard Box Play/house

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP1881

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I picked up a few small cardboard boxes for my 2 girls recently, to hide/ play in. Then my hubby pointed out that being corrugated,its glued. :( I know I enquired before, regarding toilet roll tubes which are fine. Can anyone suggest a type of box, which would be safe to use, please? I'm guessing cereal, teabag boxes. But I want a couple of larger ones. Just can't think at the moment! Lol

I picked up a few small cardboard boxes for my 2 girls recently, to hide/ play in. Then my hubby pointed out that being corrugated,its glued. :( I know I enquired before, regarding toilet roll tubes which are fine. Can anyone suggest a type of box, which would be safe to use, please? I'm guessing cereal, teabag boxes. But I want a couple of larger ones. Just can't think at the moment! Lol

Cereal and teabag boxes are often laminated on the outside, so the corrugated ones are actually better. You could consider buying some post office parcel boxes, use amazon parcels or order brown, handle-free paper bags from places like ebay. There is a certain amount of glue in most cardboard things, but so far, I have never had the proof that it is life-shortening.

Ok. Thanks very much Wiebka. Hadn't thought of that. (Laminated) I get what you mean & often get Amazon boxes! I'll look on eBay, too.....IF they like playing with paper bags! Lol What about Primark pepper bags? Should I cut the handles off?

I'd cut the handle off, one of my pig's managed to get trapped in the handle. Luckily I was there to help out. I always cut the handles off now.

I had in my mind about strangulation risk. Thanks Flintstones. :)
I also worry about suffocation, regarding fleece. (Not for cage liners) Fudge loves a fleece 'sleeve' to hide in. But I never leave it in the cage when I'm not around. I do leave them a scrunched up piece though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back