Care advice

foxy2279

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My last piggy passed away Christmas last year.
I've just rescued a beautiful girl who was left behind when her owner moved house. She looks like shes never had hay before. She looks at it like some alien object ( her hutch was just sawdust and poo sooo much poo). She had no bedding or shelter.

I remember most care advice from my previous piggies but has anything changed in the last year? I know welfare advice can change dramatically in that time x

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Well done on taking her in. I’m sure she will now feel like she’s won the lottery. Not much has changed. Not much has changed in the past year though.

I think the three important things for now are vet check, diet and companionship. They really do so much better with companionship, and it may be that she will have to be ‘shown’ that hay is edible. If you can take her dating at a rescue that would be the best way to find a friend. Do you know if she was living alone or with another piggy?

Considering her previous living conditions I would have her vet checked soon. You can give her a week to settle in first. If she wasn’t eating hay before then you need to think about the state of her teeth. Don’t forget weekly weighing as well 🙂

Well done once again and we’d love to see some photos of her.

foxy2279

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you. She's very skittish at the moment dont think she's had much handling. We've put her in a quiet room to give her time to settle. She's eaten some veggies and herbs my daughter gave her.
I have a vet appointment booked on the 28th ( first non emergency available with the guinea savvy vet ).
I have no idea if she had a friend before or was a lone piggy. If that was just her poo in that hutch then I dread to think when she was last cleaned 🤢. I'll definitely try to get her a friend as company but will most likely wait until after the new year now as most rescues here dont rehome over the Christmas period x

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
What a lucky girl to end up with you.
She sounds as if she will get a home filled with love and care.