Care For Skinnies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewybus

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I run a rescue & so far haven't taken any skinnies in. Last night one of my supporters rescued one & she has her at the vets this morning because she's wheezing/sneezing & she has had to be cleaned up as she was in filthy condition.

What I'd like to know is there any special things you need to do with skinnies for everyday care. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading :) xx

Kerrie74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Np :) I like skinnies :love: :drool: but I don't have any :( I'm going to shave one of mine to look like a Skinny lol... I think whoever I did that to would hate me for life!

HansPiggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I have a skinny :) Not much different from a hairy except they eat more to keep up their body temperature and so therefore poop a lot more! :doh: Main thing really is they do better on fleece or care fresh type of bedding. I have a small section of shavings where they eat and poo a lot but if anymore than this he gets quite dry skin as the shaving just absorb all the moisture from their skin :( Also definitely more prone to scraps around their head area when they go into hideys or tunnels so a I try and keep wooden things to a minimum. Hope this helps! :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I run a rescue & so far haven't taken any skinnies in. Last night one of my supporters rescued one & she has her at the vets this morning because she's wheezing/sneezing & she has had to be cleaned up as she was in filthy condition.

What I'd like to know is there any special things you need to do with skinnies for everyday care. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading :) xx
We have got some skinny care threads at the top of our breeds section:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/caring-for-skinny-guinea-pigs.38166/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/skinny-pigs-and-clothes.122798/

Stewybus

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks @Wiebke. Hope to see you at the TEAS open day on Saturday. I've volunteered to do tea & coffee again & bringing one of my fosterers with me :) xx

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks @Wiebke. Hope to see you at the TEAS open day on Saturday. I've volunteered to do tea & coffee again & bringing one of my fosterers with me :) xx
I am looking forward to seeing you! I'll be seeing you in the kitchen!

For more information and specific questions on skinny care, you could contact @helen105281; she's got experience with skinnies.

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Yes just ask if you need to know anything @Stewybus as I have 3 at the moment. I have learnt more since adopting the latest 2 as they seem to be more normal for skinnies whereas I think my Phoebe and Katie were very badly bred bless them. Katie is doing well though, just very small.

Stewybus

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks Helen, I've passed on the links that Kerrie & Wiebke posted. Lots of info there. If I ever need any hands on help I'll get in touch with you :) x

Status
Not open for further replies.