Care of Piggies in a shed

CookieandDave

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, we recently acquired 2 baby guineas who are, so far, living very happily in a hutch in our shed. Due to being inbetween seasons at the moment they have been really easy to care for-we give them a good run about in their run each day and plenty of cuddles and that's that. However I'm not really sure how their needs will change with the weather? Being in the shed will I need to do anything special like get a heater or cover for the depths of the winter? Also in the Summer is it ok to just leave the shed door open or is that still too hot? Would love to be prepared in advance so any advice welcome. Thanks!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, we recently acquired 2 baby guineas who are, so far, living very happily in a hutch in our shed. Due to being inbetween seasons at the moment they have been really easy to care for-we give them a good run about in their run each day and plenty of cuddles and that's that. However I'm not really sure how their needs will change with the weather? Being in the shed will I need to do anything special like get a heater or cover for the depths of the winter? Also in the Summer is it ok to just leave the shed door open or is that still too hot? Would love to be prepared in advance so any advice welcome. Thanks!
Hi!

Yes, your piggies will need extra protection and insulation during the winter months, starting from tomorrow.
You may find this thread here helpful: Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs

It is part of our much more comprehensive new owners information resource, which you may want to bookmark, browse and read seriously whenever needed. We are specifically addressing all the areas we get the most questions and concerns about, helping to learn what is normal and not, understanding guinea pig behaviour, avoiding the most common pitfalls in the short and long term and have also included emergency care and information links. Our full and even more extensive information is best accessed via the guides shortcut on the top bar.
Unlike with a book, the guide format allows us to update our information. Here is the access link: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes, your piggies will need extra hay, an insulated hutch and the shed being insulated and heated if possible.
Snuggle safe heat pads are also a good idea for shed dwelling piggies. Also a plan to bring them inside if you can’t maintain their temperature outside.

As for summer, the door being left open will possibly not be enough. My piggies have to be removed from the shed by 9am on a summers day and usually can’t go back out to their shed until 10pm (or if at all - during this summer the shed just wasn’t cooling down at all so they had to spend two weeks in the house as the shed hit 41 degrees at one point). My shed can easily get to 30+ degrees on a sunny 20 degree day so it is far too hot for them to stay in the shed. Today for example, they have spent the day indoors as it is currently reading 24 outside but 35 in their shed.