• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Carrot tops

They can have them but in moderation as they are relatively high in calcium.

Definitely save them for another day! I’m not sure your piggies would let you get away with throwing them out!

They are a favourite here - my boys had some the other day, a fight nearly broke out over the last piece! Doesn’t help that we have new residents here now so all treats have to be split five ways instead of three!

I sometimes grow the carrot tops myself as the carrots you can buy without the green leafy top are cheaper. All you have to do is cut the top off of the carrot and sit it in about 2-3cm of water and in about a week you will have leafy green tops starting to grow!

I sometimes grow the carrot tops myself as the carrots you can buy without the green leafy top are cheaper. All you have to do is cut the top off of the carrot and sit it in about 2-3cm of water and in about a week you will have leafy green tops starting to grow!
That’s a fantastic idea ! I have dried my carrot tops and use them as a treat occasionally

That’s a fantastic idea ! I have dried my carrot tops and use them as a treat occasionally
Hadn't thought about drying them, I have more carrots to pull up so maybe I'll try that with some of the next lot. How did you do them?

Here’s a photo of some nettles I’ve dried. Tie them by the stem and leave them hung up to dry. For about 4 weeks - It’s very easy and then they can be stored in an airtight tin/jar - I also do that with coriander , rose petals any herbs .....mostly to have stuff for the winter. (Also the stinging bit of the nettle disappears when they dry out.)

Attachments

• 93B43C60-A3B4-4197-9DB9-79D928537A56.jpeg
    93B43C60-A3B4-4197-9DB9-79D928537A56.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3
Back