• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Castration effect on boar humping?

Ketoprofene17

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,

I introduced a sow (now 3 months old) to my 2 years old castrated boar two months ago. They bonded quite well, even though the rumble-strutting action is still strong :D .

I know it's normal for guinea pigs to hump each other regardless of their gender as an act of dominance. However, I noticed that when she lays down "waiting" for him to hump, he humps her for a second, then stops and looks down on his belly, as if he was looking if his little thing is working or not 😂😂

I've not witnessed this before, is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance everyone!

I’ve ever had boys in pairs so I wouldn’t know, but I’ll be interested to see if that’s normal 😂

Neutered boars should still be able to mate normally, the act of piggy love is usually very brief- I've never seen a mating last more than 30 seconds maximum, often much less!
If you are worried you can get the vet or vet nurse to check your boys boar bits, but from what I've seen with my two married neutered husboars the rumblestrutting and flirting seems a much bigger deal for them than the very swift mating event at the end :)

Thanks @PigglePuggle ! I'm not even talking 10 seconds here, he goes on top for 2/3 seconds, then stops and curls to look down on himself. He's been to 2 different vets post-castration (I've moved in between) and both haven't commented on his genitals (besides the fact he's castrated of course).

Thanks @PigglePuggle ! I'm not even talking 10 seconds here, he goes on top for 2/3 seconds, then stops and curls to look down on himself. He's been to 2 different vets post-castration (I've moved in between) and both haven't commented on his genitals (besides the fact he's castrated of course).
Smokey and Bacon (my intact boys) barely even do it. They will try it, get kicked off then go and run a couple laps of the cage 😂

2-3 seconds sounds about right for our handsome Theo's love making stamina, he also then stops and looks at his bits like he's slightly confused! Cassanova style Ollie pigwig has a bit more staying power with his very demanding skinny pig wife :)

Have I got the only boar and sow pair that are not at all interested in love making lol?

Bill likes to try it on with Ted, but Ted gives him a quick side kick and thwarts Bill‘s amorous advances! Ted’s never been a humper, his love is food 😆 and Jemimah xx

Have I got the only boar and sow pair that are not at all interested in love making lol?
I have witnessed Theo making piggy love exactly 7 times, and he has had 5 lady friends for 15 months, he's not the most virile of chaps bless him, he prefers naps and snacks! Mostly the ladies hump each other :)

Hi all,

I introduced a sow (now 3 months old) to my 2 years old castrated boar two months ago. They bonded quite well, even though the rumble-strutting action is still strong :D .

I know it's normal for guinea pigs to hump each other regardless of their gender as an act of dominance. However, I noticed that when she lays down "waiting" for him to hump, he humps her for a second, then stops and looks down on his belly, as if he was looking if his little thing is working or not 😂😂

I've not witnessed this before, is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Hi!

Normally neutered boars behave no different to full boars around sows as they still have their penis; it is just the testicles missing.

I would recommend to check the boar bits for potential problems like a build-up of smegma or a semen rod in the penis shaft that could account for the reaction.
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

I have witnessed Theo making piggy love exactly 7 times, and he has had 5 lady friends for 15 months, he's not the most virile of chaps bless him, he prefers naps and snacks! Mostly the ladies hump each other :)
Bernie would mount dot when they were new to one another, he still had to put up a fight then. Since then , he lost interest. One night stand I think. I probably will check Bernie bit is clean soon

Semen rods could definitely happen in a castrated boar, although they cannot make sperm they can still make... the sticky stuff. I was just looking at Lady Puggle who is the favourite wife of neutered boar Theo and noticing how much "boar glue" as we call it she has stuck in the fur on her back!

Picking up this old thread after a bit more observation on the matter.

We have checked his genitals and all seems in order. The behavior explained above still happens though. It seems that when he tries humping he realises there’s something wrong, gives up and looks at his genitals.

I can’t figure out what’s wrong and seeing this happen (he doesn’t try often but still happens sometimes) saddens me as it seems to be frustrating thing to experience for him.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Picking up this old thread after a bit more observation on the matter.

We have checked his genitals and all seems in order. The behavior explained above still happens though. It seems that when he tries humping he realises there’s something wrong, gives up and looks at his genitals.

I can’t figure out what’s wrong and seeing this happen (he doesn’t try often but still happens sometimes) saddens me as it seems to be frustrating thing to experience for him.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Please have him vet checked to see whether his penis/erectile function has been affected by the operation. Normally it shouldn't and a neutered boar should behave just as a full boar.

Bill likes to try it on with Ted, but Ted gives him a quick side kick and thwarts Bill‘s amorous advances! Ted’s never been a humper, his love is food 😆 and Jemimah xx
Just for you boys.
Jemimah loves her food too.
Probably why she’s a big girl.

Attachments

• 7B0BDB19-419D-4521-B78F-7D705D12A867.jpeg
    7B0BDB19-419D-4521-B78F-7D705D12A867.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 9DE2665C-CB09-4390-8A1D-3978650D42E2.jpeg
    9DE2665C-CB09-4390-8A1D-3978650D42E2.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 0
  • 9A4C6DAF-7515-42F1-A367-8DCD1095CB58.jpeg
    9A4C6DAF-7515-42F1-A367-8DCD1095CB58.jpeg