• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Cats and Piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

torieraa

Junior Guinea Pig
I was just wondering if any of you let leave their cat unsupervised with their piggies.

I have taken in a stray cat who was unwanted by the RSPCA, PDSA, cats protection and various other local shelters. I found him a few weeks ago sitting in the rain and to be honest he looked like he had given up on life. He was covered in fleas, skinny and had lost a lot of fur. A friend of a friend said they would take him in but my OH said he is too attached so it looks like he is here to stay. He is such a softie!

The vet said he is an old cat and he struggles to get up on the furniture and is generally not interested in the pigs. We normally lock him in the kitchen when we are not around but haven't done this the last two nights as I feel we can trust him.

Do you think I should be more cautious? he was def someones pet before as he is nuetered and litter trained.

We have called him Jasper BTW

shiseido

i wouldn't trust the cat. they can look not interested then when you turn your back a huge bite. disaster.

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
We have both cats and piggies, the cats are now used to the girls running around. They free-range in my daughters bedroom with a board to the door so they cant get out the cats also have access to the room so often they will wander in and sit and watch the girls. If we are not at home the girls are put away I wouldn't trust the cats 100% not to attack the girls if we weren't around. Although when out playing the girls have plenty of escape routes just incase the cats decided to chase.

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
My cats are terrified of my piggies however I would never leave them together if my cats could get the piggies.

torieraa

Junior Guinea Pig
Thanks, i think I will leave Jasper wander while we are in the house but lock him in the kitchen while we are out.

He really is a very old cat and the pigs are in cages but Nigel and Gizmo have an open top C&C so Jasper could potentially get in but I am quite convinced he wouldn't be able to as he is so slow and really finds it difficult to get up onto things.

Millie's-Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Awwww poor jasper, we have a jasper cat too.
I've never had any problems with my cats and my pigs although once pebbles and missy got in with my boy i used to have and him and pebbles snuggled while missy ate his food!

Claire W

Forum Donator 2017/18
My cat grew up with the pigs and they are more interested in him than he is in them to be honest. They even run up to him squeaking and give him a kiss! However, I would never leave him alone with them when they are free ranging as you can just never tell.

xBeckyx

Junior Guinea Pig
My ladies are much more scared of my pig boys than my boys are of my four ladies!
I would never leave them free range alone with the girls but my boys have lived free range with cats before.
I would keep an eye on them and never leave them alone together bt if your cats an old chap he **** won't be too
bothered!

Status
Not open for further replies.