• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cats.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toffeewoffee

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am considering though its only a consideration, of getting a cat(s) I would be very grateful for any advice if there are any knowledgeable cat owners on here? I have some general questions as i have never had or even really liked cats before, so i have no idea.

Thanks

What are your questions? I have two Maine coon cats x

I had a cat for 21 years so might be able to help. My advice would be to get one! Cats are brilliant! I can't wait to get one as soon as I'm moved and settled somewhere on my own :)

Cats you say?!?!? I'm the crazy cat lady, feel free to ask anything you like and ill answer to my best ability!
I have four cats... and have fostered loads of kittens in the past :).

My mum had a cat called muffin. Long rest his sole. :(
But he was a lovely little thing, my mum loved him, very easy to look after, as long as you have a non leather suite!

Reactions: A&T
Well I work full time, mon - fri 9-5, so sadly a dog is out of the question but with cats being more self sufficient I thought a cat.... I have attached a picture of a very similar property to the kind I live in, it is basically a first floor flat, but everything that you see is mine, own personal front door and carpeted stairs to my living area upstairs, no back door, but I do have a garden accessed via the front door and through a side gate, I don't see a cat flap as an option, not in my front door in full view of everyone and everything, I also willbe doin g a full mouth I section before it enters the house as I do not want any dead/half dead present brought in so my Questions as follows:
1) if I were to have a little kennel in the garden would it be fair for me to leave it outside during the day while I was at work? Just until I am confident that it isn't going to shred my house and furniture to pieces?
2) are they sociable or solitary animals, will it be unfair to just have one on its own or do cats prefer to be on their own?
3) I want a lap cat, a cat that will be happy to see me and cuddle up with me, are there any particular breeds or genders that tend to be more cuddly? I know cats can be quite stuck up and I don't want something that only appears for food.

I think that is it, sorry for my ignorance but this is something I am considering very carefully and cautiously as I don't want to rush into it and end up regretting it.

Also my piggies are in my spare bedroom with the door shut most of the time anyway, but I would be cat proofing the cage, so no worries on that score.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
I adore cats, I can't imagine not having one now! If you get one from a rescue, they will know the personalities of the cats they have, so that should help loads if you particularly want a lap cat as they'll be able to tell you which ones are friendly, like to be fussed etc. We got our cat from our local RSPCA branch and they were brilliant with us.
It is perfectly fine to just have one cat, most cats prefer not to have to share their territory! Unless they have grown up together x

Well I work full time, mon - fri 9-5, so sadly a dog is out of the question but with cats being more self sufficient I thought a cat.... I have attached a picture of a very similar property to the kind I live in, it is basically a first floor flat, but everything that you see is mine, own personal front door and carpeted stairs to my living area upstairs, no back door, but I do have a garden accessed via the front door and through a side gate, I don't see a cat flap as an option, not in my front door in full view of everyone and everything, I also willbe doin g a full mouth I section before it enters the house as I do not want any dead/half dead present brought in so my Questions as follows:
1) if I were to have a little kennel in the garden would it be fair for me to leave it outside during the day while I was at work? Just until I am confident that it isn't going to shred my house and furniture to pieces?
2) are they sociable or solitary animals, will it be unfair to just have one on its own or do cats prefer to be on their own?
3) I want a lap cat, a cat that will be happy to see me and cuddle up with me, are there any particular breeds or genders that tend to be more cuddly? I know cats can be quite stuck up and I don't want something that only appears for food.

I think that is it, sorry for my ignorance but this is something I am considering very carefully and cautiously as I don't want to rush into it and end up regretting it.

Also my piggies are in my spare bedroom with the door shut most of the time anyway, but I would be cat proofing the cage, so no worries on that score.

Firstly, if you want a cat that will cuddle up and not only appear for food, then shutting it out all day isn't really going to achive this. You need to make a bond with it. Also, if you get a cat and let it out straight away the chances are it will run aways, it needs to be locked in for at least 6 weeks so it gets to know you, and the house. Having a flat is fine, my friend actually has a microchip catflap on her front door, just a plain white one? That only opens to her cats chip, I think its worth considering, it then has the freedom of going out if it wants too or not. You could always thing about getting a catflap into your wall? Thats possible too, or a window? That has some sort of platform eitherside.
Leaving a cat out all day is okay.. But in the winter its cold, and having a cat shed will keep it dry but isn't going to keep it warm. My next door neighbours cat has moved into my house because it was being left out all day and then when she would call it and it wouldn't come when she wanted it too, it was then left out all night too.

As for presents (mice) there's not really any way around that, it's a cats natural instinct to hunt and then to bring them to you, even if you don't have a cat flap, if they have a present for you there going to give it to you cat flap or not, they will shoot through your legs before you can catch it to get it off them!

Cats are better alone, they form more of a close bond with you I think. I have two tabbys and two black cats, in my opinion the tabbys are more affectionate. However, you have to be prepared to pick them up and let them get use to being picked up. I made that mistake with my older two I was young and scared of them so I didnt really pick them up so when their picked up now they hate it.

Are you looking for a cat or a kitten?

We were adopted by a cat, he's a 14 year old 3 legged charlatan! :)) he spends most of his time curled up asleep on the sofa with the occasional filling of his fat tum, before nipping out to do his business before assuming his normal stance on the sofa! ;)

Reactions: A&T
Morning, no I decided against the idea as I don't feel it would be fair to keep a cat I. The house alone all day and I wouldnt sleep at night for worrying about all of the cars that come and go around the large housing complex I live on. I filled the void with another piggy instead xx

Morning, no I decided against the idea as I don't feel it would be fair to keep a cat I. The house alone all day and I wouldnt sleep at night for worrying about all of the cars that come and go around the large housing complex I live on. I filled the void with another piggy instead xx

Awww yeah I see,
well its good you got a new piggy! :D xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back