• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

CATS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
does anyone know if cats will go into a shed and attack the pigs, becasue the past few days 2 cats have been sitting on my pigs shed roof, my 2 dogs are much too old to chase them, think they can barely see them to be honest, but i leave the doors open during the day if i'm in, but am worried I wont hear them if they get in, I have wire mesh over the windows so I can leave them open,

Well no one can be sure if they do or dont. But i would say YES. If the cat is a hunter they will but one of my cats accidental got into my piggies run and didnt do anything. 1 was down in the run facing my cat and the other one was hiding in the bedroom under the blankets. This scared me at first cos I couldnt find her and I thought she was a gonna but she was so scared she had hid. I think cos the piggies smelt of me my cat didnt do anything. He isnt a hunter either. Hes a silly cat cos he loves playing with bees and wasps.

If you have a hutch the best thing to do is get a bottle of "Get off" or it could be another name depending on where you live. Another name i think is "buzz off" Wilkinson sell it and its a green jelly. Stick a little in a pot and put it on the top on the hutch. The cats will not go anywhere near them. I do it with my cats to stop them eating my favourite plants and pooing in my garden.

Michele (volunteer for the local cats protection and I have had cats for 15 years)

or if you want something else to put down now try a pot of pepper. or a layer just outside the shed.

apparantly orange peeling deter cats too!

My cat Tatty is ok with the piggies, but I wouldn't trust him on his own. He plays with anything these days!

my 2 dogs use to sit in my old shed and not worry about the pigs at all , think because pigs are a bit bigger then rats and cats catch rats it worrys me, going to have to get some kind of repelant,

Cats catch rabbits, squirrels etc if they are a good hunter.

Orange peel didnt work on the cats I have had. I swear by "GET OFF". The first i bought it was to stop Barney from bring dead animals to the back door or down the side and it worked. Someone else must of got them LOL but if the stuff had got old and i forgot to more down the animals came back. Its stopped them eating my grass plant in the front garden. Think every cat in the neighbourhood use to eat it and now it looks lovely.

will have to buy some of that, cant use a hose its banned here or i would blast them off the roof, hee hee just joking
funnily enough we are getting an irate crow sitting on our bungalow roof think its after the black birds babies/eggs because she goes mad at him, its a real racket going on, and they say the countrys quite, but i'm wondering if the crows also seen my babies, I'm getting paranoid now, "everyones out to get my pigs" thieves cats crows, must get a XXXXL bottle of that stuff and cover the roof of the sheds, is it in a green bottle think I've seen it in Jollyes

I wouldn't trust cats near piggies. I have heart failure every time my Gemma cat looks at G&M

aww. Like I said Tatty's quite ok when we're around! Tonni's too big for him to do anything to!

michellemuffin said:
will have to buy some of that, cant use a hose its banned here or i would blast them off the roof, hee hee just joking
funnily enough we are getting an irate crow sitting on our bungalow roof think its after the black birds babies/eggs because she goes mad at him, its a real racket going on, and they say the countrys quite, but i'm wondering if the crows also seen my babies, I'm getting paranoid now, "everyones out to get my pigs" thieves cats crows, must get a XXXXL bottle of that stuff and cover the roof of the sheds, is it in a green bottle think I've seen it in Jollyes

Its in a clearish plastic bottle but it will look green cos you can see the green jelly. It has a very strong perfume smell. Not that off putting to us but to the cats they wont go near it.

I know what it is now and will get some either that or get a stone dog statue to frighten them away my two are too old and dozy

Michelle, this is my fear for my bunnies though they are hormone city and are likely to attack a cat piggies wont do that (that i know of) i find a hose is a cats worse friend when we have a cat in the area i get the hose and blast away, any cat i have soaked hasnt reappeard! also i wonder if the smell of your dogs will be enough to send them packing maybe you could wipe your dogs with a rag and then cover any place you see a cat in the sent i dont no if they will go in though cats are curious and it is a worry for me with the buns also we used some vinigar they dont like that or or theres that get off my grass use some off that, or maybe you could get a screen for the door that lets air in but keeps cats OUT! lol good luck x x

I would normally have used a hose but we have been banned over here on the island, so knowing my luck as soon as i get it out the spotter planes will see me, (yes they areally do fly over and snoop) mind you I could always say its life threatning reasons I suppose, am going to trim our dogs coats soon so may hook some of that on the roof some how,
I think the cats around ehre are pretty bold because we can hear the tigers from IOW zoo if the winds in the right direction, so if they dont frighten them I've got no chance,

Yeah if the cats a predator it could want to do harm to your piggies. I personally have never had a problem with any of my 3 cats but probably cause I got my piggie a month or so before I brought my cats home when they were kittens and they have grown up knowing him and playing with him with supervision. In fact my one cat Spaz his best friend I would say is Willie. When he was little when I cleaned the cage out he would climb in after done and eat the hay out of the cage with willie right inside of it. Willie doesn't mind either. I don't think he totally understands the cats either. They are all get along great. However, I too wouldn't leave them unattended with the piggie out running around. I am always around when Willie gets his floor time and the cats keep in in line and out of trouble too.

My cats and piggies have always got on fine but cats are hunters so strange cats could be a danger could you make a mesh frame for your shed door that is what I did when we had a rescue dog who I didn`t trust with the pigs

might well do that, have got towels nailed to the inside at the moment, so maybe that would deter them, the tigers growling is quite unnerving especailly when we first heard it, hubby thought we had a bear in the bushes, twit! the dogs hackles use to raise but they are also use to it now, they were often walked along the beach a few years ago as the beach is direct across the entrance of the zoo in Sandown, but the tame tiger they did it with died, imagine seeing that! :o

WOH! yeah ok even if the tiger was 'tame' i would seriously be miles away ok they are beautiful animals but i would be terrified they would eat me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back