Caught Queenie's Quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherine

Soppiest Piggie Owner 2015
Reaction score
I was already feeling like a useless guinea pig owner this morning, and stressed because I knew I had to cut their nails and had left it too long. So, I managed Flora and Phoebe okay, as they don't usually try to wriggle too much, and even managed Flora's black nails. Then it was Queenie's turn, and she is such a terrible wriggler. Even though my husband holds them for me, it is so difficult. Somehow I caught the quick on two back nails, probably because Queenie was trying to pull away (I didn't realise I'd caught the first one until we saw blood from the second).

Just couldn't believe it, as I've never done this before, and I felt dreadful. Poor Queenie. We dipped the nails in cornflour, and my husband held her while I cleaned out the cage. One nail wasn't too bad, the other seemed to possibly be spotting a bit when we put her back. How long should it take to stop totally? Am hoping there won't be any reason to take them to the vets anytime soon, as we're on the wrong side of the Severn, and there are also major roadworks at the moment - nightmare.

I feel as though I could quite cheerfully hand over lots of money to someone who isn't so incompetent to do the nail cutting for me! I gave up after that disaster - I'll try to finish the rest off early next week.

You are not a useless piggy owner. Don't EVER think like that, it is simply not true.
We all make mistakes, nail cutting being a very likely mistake to make.

You have done the right thing putting the nail in cornflour, is it still bleeding?
If it is just slightly spotting I wouldn't worry to much as long as it stops soon. Maybe you want to book a vet visit if you're worried.

You are not a useless piggy owner. Don't EVER think like that, it is simply not true.
We all make mistakes, nail cutting being a very likely mistake to make.

You have done the right thing putting the nail in cornflour, is it still bleeding?
If it is just slightly spotting I wouldn't worry to much as long as it stops soon. Maybe you want to book a vet visit if you're worried.

I've seen a few blood spots on the Fitch in their cage - but only a little. Queenie is lying quietly at the moment, probably better than running around in the circumstances. I'd like to check where she's been sitting though. Really hope it stops totally soon, and she doesn't make it worse by biting it or something.

Thankyou for the reassurance! I'd like to think that this wouldn't have happened if I hadn't got myself into a bit of state about doing it in the first place! Not feeling very confident today.

I've seen a few blood spots on the Fitch in their cage - but only a little. Queenie is lying quietly at the moment, probably better than running around in the circumstances. I'd like to check where she's been sitting though. Really hope it stops totally soon, and she doesn't make it worse by biting it or something.

Thankyou for the reassurance! I'd like to think that this wouldn't have happened if I hadn't got myself into a bit of state about doing it in the first place! Not feeling very confident today.
I always dread nail clippings. I haven't cut them wrong yet. *touch wood* but it is something every owners dreads! we are all in the same boat.

Getting a vet to clip them I am sure would reassure you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back