• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Celery - Good Or Bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylie80

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I keep hearing different opinions about whether celery is good to feed frequently or bad because of the calcium content. I feed the piggies half a stick of celery each a day in chunks. Am I over feeding it to them?

From everything I've read celery should only be given in small quantities. Vets I've dealt with aren't keen on it being given too much so I only give my 2 a small chunk once or twice every couple of weeks, it's not part of their daily diet, more of a treat

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I might have to think about something else to give them.

Mine get celery twice a week, but in very small quantities - perhaps half a small stick between 3 piggies. I think that, like everything, it's all about moderation.

I agree, mine only get it twice a week too. It does go down very well though.

I'm not actually sure what is wrong with celery.

Like everything it should only be in small quantities so half a stick is probaby too much.

It's higher in sugar than a lot of veg but it's not on the scale of fruit. And it's calcium content is 1.7:1 (calcium to potassium), when a recommended diet is 2:1.

If your pig has to have a reduced calcium diet then it's not really the best to have but a regular pig will be fine to have small quantities.

I have reduced the celery to twice a week now and the calcium deposits have lessened. I think they were starting to get bored with it anyway.

Thank you I have a piggie with calcium deposits so will reduce it.

My 4 have a stalk between them, perhaps once a week but I don't really have a schedule because I'm very disorganised lol. So that's 1/4 of a stalk each every now and then basically.

They love the leaves, a few times a month probably for those.

I was under the impression the stalk could be fed daily, but the leaves are the part that's high in calcium and so should be fed less often.
I could be wrong though.
I thought that too which is why I was giving it to them everyday but there seems to be alot of conflicting information out about it so i'm going to cut down just in case lol.

I give them the leaves occasionally, they go nuts for them but they haven't had any for a few months now. I just buy the stalks as they take up less room in the fridge.

We've heard about about this recently. Glad we've found this thread, think we're going to reduce it slightly. Wonder if the herd will notice...it's their favourite!

My two had started going off the celery so it made no difference to them. Coriander is their fav. Good luck with the reduction and I hope you don't have a riot on your hands :)

Mine absolutely love the stuff! I never knew that it was high in calcium though, they don't have it very regularly but when they do they go mad for it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back