• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Celery Went To The Vets Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law Ram

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So Celery went to the vets today. She has a chest infection, her lungs were louder than they should be when she was breathing.
They have prescribed her Septrium 0.8ml once a day. Can anyone tell me about this as I never have had it before (always been baytril)

Is it worth putting her on towels whilst she gets better?

Septrin is more often used in conjunction with urinary tract problems, but it is quite commonly used with guinea pigs these days.

I would recommend:
- split the dose in two and give it 12 hours apart; this is more effective in view of the fast guinea pig metabolism
- give a pinch of probiotics 1-2 hours after the antibiotic to help prop up the guts and also give additionally some extra vitamin C to bolster the immune system.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...vitamin-c-overview-with-product-links.115404/
- weigh your piggy daily at the same time ot monitor the food intake and if necessary hand feed and water. The need to breathe comes before the ned to drink and thirdly the need to eat. https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/complete-hand-feeding-guide.115359/
- see a vet asap if your piggy loses its appetite, looks listless or deteriorates
- you can support the breathing by placing a bowl of steaming water next to the cage. if you wish, you can also add two drops of olbas oil (not vicks!)
- if you wish, keep your piggy comfy and warm on towels instead of loose bedding.

Thank you about the splitting it. I thought it looked quite alot. I shall do that.
She has veggies all day, so that isnt a problem

I will weigh her daily. I am assuming that if my scales are slightly out from vets, it wont matter cause i will see a loss in weight anways? She said she had lost weight since she was last weighed at the vets but didnt make much of it

I told her, that she doesnt bother with her dry food as much now, just likes her veggies and her hay.

Now paranoia has taken over.....

Thank you about the splitting it. I thought it looked quite alot. I shall do that.
She has veggies all day, so that isnt a problem

I will weigh her daily. I am assuming that if my scales are slightly out from vets, it wont matter cause i will see a loss in weight anways? She said she had lost weight since she was last weighed at the vets but didnt make much of it

I told her, that she doesnt bother with her dry food as much now, just likes her veggies and her hay.

Now paranoia has taken over.....

Your normal scales will still show you a weight loss. Please do a daily weigh-in ideally at the same time in the feeding cycle, so you can eliminate the difference between a full/empty tummy and/or bladder as much a possible. it can make as much as 30g/1 oz. As long as Celery is eating plenty of hay, she should be OK.

Septrin is generally not quite as harsh on the guts as baytril and less piggies have problems with it. Pediatric baytril is also tasting of bananas and usually goes down a lot better. ;)

She has hay every day. She went off her dry food a while ago but her hay and veggies have always been the same. She eats little and often, if that makes sense?

I will weigh her when I get in from work. Before her veggies go in.

She has hay every day. She went off her dry food a while ago but her hay and veggies have always been the same. She eats little and often, if that makes sense?

I will weigh her when I get in from work. Before her veggies go in.

Always do it at the same point. it is just a guide to help you, as you can see a piggy munch on crud and think that it is OK.

How much water should piggies be drinking? I am now worried I have been a crappy mum for her

How much water should piggies be drinking? I am now worried I have been a crappy mum for her

That is individually very different. However, as a guideline, as long as she is still eating, she should also be drinking and as long as she is reating veg, she is not in danger of dehydrating. Remember, the need to drink is more vital than the urge to eat. ;)

Just always offer as much water as she'll take if you hand feed,

She wees alot too. So I can only assume that is good.
So sorry for this, I think its alot to do with my paranoia sinking in. I just want to do the best for my girlie as she is like my child.
She doesnt drink an alfuwl lot, that is all, I assume she will get it from her veggies as well?

She wees alot too. So I can only assume that is good.
So sorry for this, I think its alot to do with my paranoia sinking in. I just want to do the best for my girlie as she is like my child.
She doesnt drink an alfuwl lot, that is all, I assume she will get it from her veggies as well?

As long as she is peeing regularly I would not worry, and I would also not start freaking unless Celery is losing 50g of weight from one day to the other. Just take a deep breath and keep steady for her. You are a good and caring mum and with giving her your support, I am sure that she is going to make it through well and be better again in a week's time.

She weighed 1307 on my scales today

Thanks Flutterby :)

Today she is 1370. One of these is wrong but ill find out tomorrow.

She seems more perky today. More moving about. She has a snotty nose but I'm not sure if thats because i did a bad job of cleaning it last night as she was more intrested in eating (not going to stop her!)

Thought she was getting better but today she is weezing again. I dont know if when I picked her up, I may have dislodge some muscus or not.
I am continuing with her antibiotics but I may have to take her back again to the vets.

She isnt sneezing anymore and I am not noticing the white stuff from her eyes, so maybe it is clearing up?

Awww poor thing, If she gets any-worse get her back to the vets, how many days of antibiotics do you have left? It may be worth asking if they think she has any fluid in the lungs? If so a diuretic such as furosemide can often help. Another thing to mention to the vet.

Lots of healing vibes to Celery and a hug to you x

Thought she was getting better but today she is weezing again. I dont know if when I picked her up, I may have dislodge some muscus or not.
I am continuing with her antibiotics but I may have to take her back again to the vets.

She isnt sneezing anymore and I am not noticing the white stuff from her eyes, so maybe it is clearing up?

Ask your vet for some bisolvon powder to help clear any mucus and some diuretic like furosemide to drain any fluids from the lungs if there are any sings of congestion in the lungs to help ease the breathing and support the recovery. Discuss with your vet whether to continue/finish with your current antibiotic or whether you may need to switch to a stronger one depending on his findings.

You can also place a bowl of steaming water next to the cage to help ease the breathing.

All the best!

Vets tomorrow. She seems more perky, weighed her and she is 1421g today. I suspect the was eating when I didnt see her or is about to have a wee.

I have been shouted at for veggies, but her voice seems to have gone.

Steamed water - boiling the kettle into a jug ok for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back