• Dying, terminal illness and euthanasia: New sensitive support guide for guinea pig owners Please Click Here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cerenia Antibiotic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeahsPiggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, we had to take Pebbles into the vet this evening as her bleeding has returned (down below). It was quite heavy this time and all over her face where she had been cleaning herself, and the bedding.

We took her to see Molly who xrayed her for a second time, and as the first xray showed, there were no stones or anything out of the ordinary.

When palpating Pebbles abdomen, she said she could feel her uterus, whereas you aren't supposed to. She prescribed us with some cerenia (already crushed and mixed with a water) to give twice daily at 0.5ml, but also said we will most likely have to opt for surgery unfortunately.

So back to the point of the title, has anyone used cerenia before? It's the first time I've heard of it and I'm sure she said it was fairly new for use in guinea pigs but is supposed to be very good. Replies are appreciated :)

Poppy'sMum

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have heard of it...... I can't remember if my Petal had it or not, will check my notes for you :)

Poppy'sMum

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok yes she was prescribed Cerenia back in Jan 2013, she had Cerenia 0.18 ml once a day for 4 days then stop for 2 days then 4 days repeat was how it worked. That seems a large dose you've been prescribed, Petal is a whopping 1.45 kg piggy :)

LeahsPiggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok yes she was prescribed Cerenia back in Jan 2013, she had Cerenia 0.18 ml once a day for 4 days then stop for 2 days then 4 days repeat was how it worked. That seems a large dose you've been prescribed, Petal is a whopping 1.45 kg piggy :)
Hi, what was Petal prescribed it for, do you remember? I've just double checked the bottle and it's definitely 0.5ml twice daily! X

Poppy'sMum

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
She had bladder sludge & had it flushed during an op, then she still suffered UTI's afterwards so was on around 7 meds to get it all under control. £1500 odd later she is stable & just has a Cartrophen jab every month & 0.1ml Metacam daily :)

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
maisie had this aswell. it's meant to be a brilliant new medication for guinea pigs now aswell. it works as an anti-inflammatory and covers in a different way to metacam. so both really covers all bases. maisie had it for her bladder wall as it's meant to have been shown to be excellent for piggies in that way. :)

LeahsPiggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
maisie had this aswell. it's meant to be a brilliant new medication for guinea pigs now aswell. it works as an anti-inflammatory and covers in a different way to metacam. so both really covers all bases. maisie had it for her bladder wall as it's meant to have been shown to be excellent for piggies in that way. :)
Oh that's interesting! Hoping this does some good for her then, although she has been on metacam previously and it hasn't had an effect. What dosage was Maisie on? :)

Poppy'sMum

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Also just a thought, maybe an ultrasound would be the way forward if this doesn't help her. I know it's all expense unfortunately but ultrasound will show up any soft tissue that x-rays can't :)

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh that's interesting! Hoping this does some good for her then, although she has been on metacam previously and it hasn't had an effect. What dosage was Maisie on? :)
when she had it the first time, it was 1/8 of a tablet. very difficult to do! then the next time, it was mixed with some syrup/water and i think she was on 0.5ml 2x a day.

molly varga and aidan at ashleigh vets always give similar doses. the used to work together. i always recognise when people go either to ashleigh vets or to where molly is. :))

LeahsPiggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Also just a thought, maybe an ultrasound would be the way forward if this doesn't help her. I know it's all expense unfortunately but ultrasound will show up any soft tissue that x-rays can't :)
Pebbles has had an ultrasound and 2 x-rays, all came back normal although her uterus was fairly visible I believe, so it looks like it's that what is the issue, and nothing can be done unless she is opened up to have a good look at what is going on unfortunately. :(

when she had it the first time, it was 1/8 of a tablet. very difficult to do! then the next time, it was mixed with some syrup/water and i think she was on 0.5ml 2x a day.
molly varga and aidan at ashleigh vets always give similar doses. the used to work together. i always recognise when people go either to ashleigh vets or to where molly is. :))
Molly crushed and mixed it for us whilst we were there which was nice of her, and oh really, I really hope she never moves far away from this vet.. She is brilliant.

Poppy'sMum

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Don't give up hope, my Petal had a very similar thing, after all the meds she was given including Cerenia, 18 months on she just has Cartrophen jabs once a month & her Metacam in the morning plus probiotics & so far we have avoided the spaying, so it can be done :)

LeahsPiggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Don't give up hope, my Petal had a very similar thing, after all the meds she was given including Cerenia, 18 months on she just has Cartrophen jabs once a month & her Metacam in the morning plus probiotics & so far we have avoided the spaying, so it can be done :)
Oh really? Molly never mentioned alternative treatments as Pebbles has already had the xrays, ultrasounds, antibiotics, metacam and now the cerenia - if there are issues with her uterus I would ideally want it to be fixed rather than kept under control if that makes sense. It is a worry though because I assume it's an invasive procedure, we will just have to see what happens. Hopefully she won't need the op but Molly said she would advise taking a look inside.

Poppy'sMum

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes definitely that Amanda I just checked my empty bottle :) I can ask my vet why they prescribe it; I'm back there next Friday :)

LeahsPiggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.