• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Certain Types Of Veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello Guys,
I hope you are all well. I wanted to start this thread because I'm a bit confused.
I've seen that @piggyfan has said that you should cut down on carrots as they are high in sugar. I read that carrots are perfectly fine. I trust @piggyfan more as you can easily read rubbish on the internet. Obviously you can't feed iceburg lettuce. I know that piggies should get veg everyday. I also read somewhere that you shouldn't feed any sort of lettuce. Cucumber can't be feed to much in case of diarrhoe. And most fruits have to much acid to feed everyday. Kale and brocolli or great but lead to gas. If you can't feed all of this stuff then what is recommended everyday? Thanks

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We feed something like this. It is not perfect but seems to work

Breakfast

Cucumber
Celery
Pepper

Tea
Cucumber
Pepper
Little Gem lettuce 3 x a week,/Coriander 2 x a week/ Parsley or cabbage or celery leaves 2 x a week
Occasional carrot/green beans/baby corn/ spinach/broccoli/kale

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my piggies will like all of these veggies. I have tried all of those veggies on them except for coriander. Which I think they will like. The only food my pigs don't like is tomatoes and strawberries though the green parts are an exception!:)

Hannah Boyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As long as you stick to the recommended veggies list - little and varied from there is usually best. And just monitor what you think your piggie needs - one of mine needs to gain some weight so he gets a bit more carrot than the chubbier ones! Fruit in any great quantity is probably best avoided. Its like people - most foods have some sort of negative but everything in moderation! hope that helps. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.