• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Chalky piece of stone, can it be bladder stones?

Monykutzu

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have my girls for a couple of weeks now and this morning I found this stone, which I may add it's not small! Seems to be chalky, and I could write with it if I wanted to. Can it be a bladder stone? Can it be a stone from the hay, I am getting to the bottom of the hay pack, but I didn't notice any stones inside so far. The piggies are all ok, eating and running around I haven't heard anything unusual and they don't seem to be unwell.

Attachments

• 20200911_074959.jpg
    20200911_074959.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200911_074951.jpg
    20200911_074951.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 8
That's huge if it's a bladder stone! For that reason I would say it isn't. I think a piggy passing that would have seemed under the weather, even though they try to hide it. What a mystery

I think that is probably a stone that was in the haybag, a bladder stone that size would be fatal, far too big to pass out of the urethra in the wee!

You're right, it was in the hay bag! I just had a rummage around and found another one. Panic over! I did think it was huge to be passed without any pain but I also thought it was a small chance it could be one, since I didn't think hay comes complete with stones.

You're right, it was in the hay bag! I just had a rummage around and found another one. Panic over! I did think it was huge to be passed without any pain but I also thought it was a small chance it could be one, since I didn't think hay comes complete with stones.

It’s common to find foreign objects in hay given it’s a natural product - sticks, stones, baling twine and sadly deceased animals can be found in hay

Hi everyone, I have my girls for a couple of weeks now and this morning I found this stone, which I may add it's not small! Seems to be chalky, and I could write with it if I wanted to. Can it be a bladder stone? Can it be a stone from the hay, I am getting to the bottom of the hay pack, but I didn't notice any stones inside so far. The piggies are all ok, eating and running around I haven't heard anything unusual and they don't seem to be unwell.

Hi!

One of my piggies has had a very slow growing 'silent' rabbit-sized bladder stone that was filling the entire bladder by the time it started to cause problems. It was about the three times the size of what is normally considered a large stone but it was 11mm across in all directions. Stones that are passed through the urethra are much smaller. Whatever this is, it can't be a bladder stone. it looks to big to have passed through the urethra.

You can see my line up of some pretty large stones from two other sows with Ceri's mahoosive stone on the right. It now graces the collection of the operating vet because he had never come across such a large stone before. Ceri thankfully did survive her borderline emergency operation.
IMG_8865_edited-1.JPG

Back