• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Chance of putting piggie to sleep

worrier

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Feb 28, 2025
Messages
24
Reaction score
49
Points
175
Location
United Kingdom
I took my guinea pig, Peanut (7 years old), to the vets today for blood in her urine. This happens quite a lot to her as she has had chronic bladder stones on and off these past twoish years. She's always managed to pass them and has just been prescribed pain killers and antibiotics to get her through these bouts of stones.

Today the vet said he thought he could feel a mass in her stomach but because she was in pain she wasn't really letting him feel it properly. She's been prescribed the normal medication for her bladder things and we are going back in a week for a check on that mass and a scan. He mentioned the possibility of putting her to sleep if there were tumors/cancer/etc which of course I would do if she was in incurable pain. I don't want her to live in pain of course. I just feel really sad about it and needed to say that somewhere. I don't want her to die at all, I love her so much. I know she is old but to me she is my baby.

I feel like I'm waiting a week for them to just say that the best option for her is to be put to sleep. Of course I would do whatever is best for her but I'm just feeling quite sad right now especially after seeing her in pain this morning. All guinea pigs deserve to live forever with no pain.
 
She's beautiful :love: I'm sorry you're in this no-win situation, it's never easy and it's not a decision any of us take likely lightly - or will judge you for, no matter what route you take. See how tonight goes, see how tomorrow goes. You may still have that time.
 
Last edited:
She's beautiful :love: I'm sorry you're in this no-win situation, it's never easy and it's not a decision any of us take likely - or will judge you for, no matter what route you take. See how tonight goes, see how tomorrow goes. You may still have that time.
Thank you so much ❤️ I'm just struggling with knowing that either way she is going to pass soon, I just have to pick how. I'm grateful for all the time I still have with her ❤️
 
So sorry that you are in such a difficult situation.
Peanut is a beautiful piggy and her age is a tribute to your love and care.
I echo what @Lorcan has said, take it a day at a time.
Go with your heart and you will make the right decision at the right time.
Holding you in my heart ♥️
 
I’m so sorry you are in this situation. Sending you hugs and healing vibes to gorgeous Peanut. ❤️

Make this week extra special. Lots of cuddles and treats. She’s felt your love every day for the past 7 years. She thanks you for the wonderful life you have given her.

When I had to have my 16.5 year old Border Terrier helped over the bridge I knew I wanted him to have a “good death” as he’d had an amazing life with me and I didn’t want him to suffer at the end.

If the bridge is calling Peanut then it’s best she goes over a day early rather than a day too late. ❤️
 
I took my guinea pig, Peanut (7 years old), to the vets today for blood in her urine. This happens quite a lot to her as she has had chronic bladder stones on and off these past twoish years. She's always managed to pass them and has just been prescribed pain killers and antibiotics to get her through these bouts of stones.

Today the vet said he thought he could feel a mass in her stomach but because she was in pain she wasn't really letting him feel it properly. She's been prescribed the normal medication for her bladder things and we are going back in a week for a check on that mass and a scan. He mentioned the possibility of putting her to sleep if there were tumors/cancer/etc which of course I would do if she was in incurable pain. I don't want her to live in pain of course. I just feel really sad about it and needed to say that somewhere. I don't want her to die at all, I love her so much. I know she is old but to me she is my baby.

I feel like I'm waiting a week for them to just say that the best option for her is to be put to sleep. Of course I would do whatever is best for her but I'm just feeling quite sad right now especially after seeing her in pain this morning. All guinea pigs deserve to live forever with no pain.

BIG HUGS

I am very sorry. Being faced with the reality of an impending loss always comes as a massive shock that triggers your grieving process. You don't start grieving after a death, you start grieving when the certainty of a death in the not very far future hits you.
That is the cause of why you are so feeling so upset and so down right now. It is the news that none of us want to hear.
In fact, it is generally the second worst time in the whole grieving process apart from the loss itself. Yes, you know that 7 years is a great age and you know that Peanut has some major health issues, but as long as she is still ticking along, it is all too easy to just ignore the uneasiness in your own gut.

Right now, you feel totally torn between your own strong desire to keep her with you and at the same time your wish to prevent any unnecessary suffering, which are currently fighting a battle royal in your heart.
Please trust in yourself: If Peanut continues to deteriorate, you are going to race to the vets and will do what needs to be done because you can always be stronger for somebody you love deeply than for yourself. You are not going to fail yourself in that respect. Trust your heart and trust your gut: If Peanut is in pain, you will find the inner strength to let her go before your own desires because would we not all rather bear the pain ourselves than watch those we love suffer? That the is power of love; a love which you have shown you have yourself, too.

Just try to create some more precious memories while you have the time and Peanut is still well enough to enjoy them.


Have you been given stronger pain medication for her? Piggies are prey animals and as such able to suppress pain to a remarkable degree. When they start showing it, then it is already really bad.

Here are links which you may find helpful in understanding better your emotions and your options, so you can make the best out of a bad situation for both Peanut's and your own sake.
- A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs
- Pet Owners Anxiety - Practical Tips For Sufferers and For Supporters

My thoughts are with Peanut and you.

PS: Let us know if you would like us to transfer the thread to our End of Life and Bereavement section for ongoing moral support and practical advice for as long as you need it.
 
Back
Top