• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Chances of recovery

rustysebastian

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a sick little boy who despite my best efforts to keep cool did not cope in the heat we have had recently in the uk. As soon as I noticed him struggling I brought him inside and did things I'd read to help cool him down and also syringe fed him water and food until the next day when we were able to go the vet.
The vet gave him a injection of fluids, a gut stimulant and painkiller and also gave me some critical care which I've been feeding him. Vet was concerned about him not being able to use his legs and suggested the heat may have had a neurological effect on him.
I took him back the vet today after 24 hours and explained he hadn't improved and had not pooped since the day before. She checked him and said that there had been some improvement in that when she held out his leg today he pulled it back which he didnt do yesterday she gave me a painkiller to give once a day for 10 days and more critical care. He is still not able to move very much. He can hold his head up for short periods and is taking the critical care and water I'm giving him and he ate a very small amount of veg earlier and is now pooping all be it very small. Vet said it may just take more time for him to recover. I dont really know I'm hoping and praying he starts to improve and gets better but I dont know what signs will tell me he is improving or if he will and how long do I give it because its heartbreaking to think I could just be prolonging his passing or he is suffering. Any thoughts,opinions, experience anyone has will be appreciated.

I’m sorry you’re piggy is unwell. How often are you feeding him the critical care and how much are you able to get him to take at each feed? You need to be weighing him daily at the same time and adjust the feeding accordingly. Poo output is 1-2 days behind so if they’re small it’s because he hasn’t been eating enough. Has he been nibbling on hay at all?

I don’t know what the signs of improvement would be so will tag @PigglePuggle @Piggies&buns @Wiebke

Very sorry to hear this, sounds like you and the vet are doing all the right things, nobody can say if he will recover, but if he is taking some food and critical care and starting to poop this is a good sign! Please keep up the syringe feeding with the critical care or some mushed up pellets, every 3 or 4 hours if he is very weak, and see how he does over the next 24-48 hours then check back with the vet. I hope he will be ok x

Hi!

I am very sorry. Hot weather is doubly hard on the ill, the young, the pregnant and the elderly as their weaker immune system will take an extra hit and will struggle to cope. :(

What is your boy being treated for and how old is he?

Please take the time to read the guide links below I hope that you may find them helpful. Nobody can say whether your boy will recover, but your good rund the clock support feeding care can make a difference - and that is all you can do as the kind of caring owner you seem to be.
Heat exhaustion/heat stroke can lower the immune system and can cause gastro-intestinal stasis (the gut is stopping to work), meaning loss of appetite.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

I’m sorry you’re piggy is unwell. How often are you feeding him the critical care and how much are you able to get him to take at each feed? You need to be weighing him daily at the same time and adjust the feeding accordingly. Poo output is 1-2 days behind so if they’re small it’s because he hasn’t been eating enough. Has he been nibbling on hay at all?

I don’t know what the signs of improvement would be so will tag @PigglePuggle @Piggies&buns @Wiebke

Thank you for your reply. I am giving him critical care every 3-4 hours or if he not taking much will try again in a hour. I try and give him between 5-10ml each time sometimes more. Hes had in total today about 40ml of critical care and I've also been giving him small amounts of water too. I'm not sure if his weight but will weigh him. I did see him take a small peice of hay but not very much. I've made sure every thing is close to him for easy access.

Thank you for your reply. I am giving him critical care every 3-4 hours or if he not taking much will try again in a hour. I try and give him between 5-10ml each time sometimes more. Hes had in total today about 40ml of critical care and I've also been giving him small amounts of water too. I'm not sure if his weight but will weigh him. I did see him take a small peice of hay but not very much. I've made sure every thing is close to him for easy access.

Please feed him every 2 hours during the day and at least once or twice during the night. If possible, aim for 60 ml in 24 hours to help get the gut going again and to keep his strength/weight as much as possible. It is a very good sign that he is showing a little interest in food. Try to tempt him with some fresh herbs or a little fresh grass after the first couple syringes (which can stimulate his eating reflex. then finish off with more syringe feed and water, as much as he will take.

Hi!

I am very sorry. Hot weather is doubly hard on the ill, the young, the pregnant and the elderly as their weaker immune system will take an extra hit and will struggle to cope. :(

What is your boy being treated for and how old is he?

Please take the time to read the guide links below I hope that you may find them helpful. Nobody can say whether your boy will recover, but your good rund the clock support feeding care can make a difference - and that is all you can do as the kind of caring owner you seem to be.
Heat exhaustion/heat stroke can lower the immune system and can cause gastro-intestinal stasis (the gut is stopping to work), meaning loss of appetite.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply. I have four boys who live outside. I made sure they all had a ice bottle wrapped in a towel, was shaded, fresh water and watery veg to keep them cool and checked them all the time. My three other boys coped but little piglet didnt.

I'm not sure of his exact age I basically took them from the school I work in because the children were not very kind to them and they were not looked after properly. I'm guessing he is maybe just over a year old as they came to my school as babies a year ago.

I think he us being treated for heat stroke. The vet did say yesterday that his temperature,heartbeat and breathing were normal so we did manage to cool him.

Thanks for the links will take a look

Please feed him every 2 hours during the day and at least once or twice during the night. If possible, aim for 60 ml in 24 hours to help get the gut going again and to keep his strength/weight as much as possible. It is a very good sign that he is showing a little interest in food. Try to tempt him with some fresh herbs or a little fresh grass after the first couple syringes (which can stimulate his eating reflex. then finish off with more syringe feed and water, as much as he will take.

Thank you. I will be able to get another 20ml in before 12 o clock taking it to 60ml or more if he will have it and will get up early to start feeding him again. Will try giving him so veg also.

Thank you. I will be able to get another 20ml in before 12 o clock taking it to 60ml or more if he will have it and will get up early to start feeding him again. Will try giving him so veg also.

Try herbs or a little fresh but not wet grass - that is often the first thing a recovering piggy is tempted by. Just a little; start slowly.

You control the food intake by weighing daily at the same time, like first thing in the morning when the weight will be at its lowest.
At this stage you are looking to keep your boy's guts going and slowing down any weight loss; then at stabilising the weight. WEight gain will come back on its own in its own time once your piggy is back to eating normally on his own and is also recovered from his illness.

Try herbs or a little fresh but not wet grass - that is often the first thing a recovering piggy is tempted by. Just a little; start slowly.

You control the food intake by weighing daily at the same time, like first thing in the morning when the weight will be at its lowest.
At this stage you are looking to keep your boy's guts going and slowing down any weight loss; then at stabilising the weight. WEight gain will come back on its own in its own time once your piggy is back to eating normally on his own and is also recovered from his illness.

I only have basil at the moment but will try him with that until I can get the shops tomorrow and will weigh him first thing in the morning I know he was the smallest of my 4. I have three days worth of critical care left. He did just use his front paws to groom his face and when I was feeding him when hes had enough he will turn and face the other way which he did just do so he is alert in some ways just not using his legs or able to walk. Will keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully he will start to improve. Thank you for your help and advice

I only have basil at the moment but will try him with that until I can get the shops tomorrow and will weigh him first thing in the morning I know he was the smallest of my 4. I have three days worth of critical care left. He did just use his front paws to groom his face and when I was feeding him when hes had enough he will turn and face the other way which he did just do so he is alert in some ways just not using his legs or able to walk. Will keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully he will start to improve. Thank you for your help and advice

Basil is fine if he likes it. You can mix mushed up pellets and critical care, and feed that or get hold of more CC. You may however need to cut off the tip of the syringe to allow the pellet fibre pass through. You cut with your scissors just below where the syringe widens to the plunger cannot fall out.

We strongly recommend to give all your guinea pigs a weekly weigh-in and body onceover as part of their life long health monitoring to catch developing problems early on. With an ill guinea you switch to weighing once daily at the same time as the body weight can swing 30-40g over the course of a day.
Weight - Monitoring and Management

Please take the time to read the links I have given you. There is a lot of very helpful information in there that I cannot repeat in every post, seeing that it often takes me several days to write a guide to make sure that it really contains all the necessary information.

Basil is fine if he likes it. You can mix mushed up pellets and critical care, and feed that or get hold of more CC. You may however need to cut off the tip of the syringe to allow the pellet fibre pass through. You cut with your scissors just below where the syringe widens to the plunger cannot fall out.

We strongly recommend to give all your guinea pigs a weekly weigh-in and body onceover as part of their life long health monitoring to catch developing problems early on. With an ill guinea you switch to weighing once daily at the same time as the body weight can swing 30-40g over the course of a day.
Weight - Monitoring and Management

Please take the time to read the links I have given you. There is a lot of very helpful information in there that I cannot repeat in every post, seeing that it often takes me several days to write a guide to make sure that it really contains all the necessary information.

He ate a few bites of basil a moment a go which I hope is a good thing. Will definitely weigh him first thing. Will have a read of information. Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

He ate a few bites of basil a moment a go which I hope is a good thing. Will definitely weigh him first thing. Will have a read of information. Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

If he is interested in a little other food, then that is a very good sign! Take heart! :tu:

How are they this morning?

How are they this morning?

Morning. I noticed during the night he had pooped a lot and had eaten some romaine lettuce. He has had 10ml of critical care at 7 and some water and has just eaten some basil leaves. He is still not using his legs or lifting himself or able to walk. I did weigh him he is 2.4 pounds or 1.12kg so will do thay everyday. Hes curled up next to me on the sofa but not moving much except his head. Poor little guy

Hi everyone a little update and some questions. Yesterday he was showing a interest in some food he had a good nibble on some dandelion leaves and spinach. Didnt take as much critical care but had lots of water. Today I weighed him and he has gone from 2.4 pounds to 2.3 pounds there abouts. Is this a massive weightless overnight ? Do I increase his critical care from 50 ml to more? Also he smells because of not being able to move around so is lying in his wee. I change his bedding everyday I dont want to distress him but could I just bathe him in very shallow water? I tried wiping him down with cotton wool and water but it has t helped. He did jump into his cage yesterday. From my lap which was very close to his cage surely that's a good sign. Thank you

0.1lb is roughly 45 grams which is a normal fluctuation in weight. But if he is losing weight every day then you need to increase the frequency of the syringe feeding. You can give him a bum bath with just plain water. Just make sure you try and dry him as much as possible.
Bathing (including cleaning grease glands)

Hi everyone just wanted to give a update to say that sadly piglet was put to sleep yesterday at the vets. Since Saturday he had lost alot of weight and despite me feeding him critical care and water round the clock i was not able to stabilise his weight. In the end he was unable to move. He was not able to feed himself or drink water without me giving it him. He was also unable to poop as they became stuck in his bottom and I had to help him get them out. He showed little or no improvement. Myself and the vet both agreed he was in pain and was suffering and that putting him to sleep was the kindest thing to do. Thank you everyone for your prayers , wishes and advice.
RIP little pigwit. May the force be with you.xx20191228_105241.jpg

I am so sorry to hear that. You did you absolutely best for him
Sleep tight little man

Bless you! You did everything you could for your sweet boy, and helping him cross over the bridge was the ultimate act of kindness. Take care of yourself. Popcorn free little piglet 😢🌈❤️❤️

Back