• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Change in behaviour, should I be worried?

YorkshireLass

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My two boys are 20 months old so not teenagers anymore. Cashew has always been the dominant one but they rub along well together. They have a loft area which only he ever uses, he likes to use the additional hayrack up there. Pistachio has probably been up there twice in his life.

Anyway, over the past week, Cashew has seemed more aggressive than usual, actually trying to nip his brother on the side of his neck. Instigating lots of chasing. He‘s also stopped going up to the loft which means they are together more in the main cage. I haven’t seen any blood and when they aren’t doing this they have sat together to eat hay.

They have two of everything food/water and lots of hideys etc.

I‘ve read the guides on behaviour and the only thing I can think of is, is it Spring hormones? I have come close to separating them a few times but then they calm down again. They do go looking for each other if one is out for a while, eg having a haircut on my knee, so I would hate for things to change permanently.

Oh and I can’t find a physical reason for him not to be using the ramp up to the loft anymore, I have checked him over a few times. He‘s running around and popcorning as usual.

It is I think - teenage years, hopefully it will settle down. I don’t have any experience with boys, but I would say as much space as possible maybe try houses that have two exits so no pig gets trapped.
Hopefully silly season will end, it does sound like they have a strong bond so hopefully just a little blip

Oh and I can’t find a physical reason for him not to be using the ramp up to the loft anymore, I have checked him over a few times. He‘s running around and popcorning as usual.
Ramp not too steep? It you pop him up top can he come down? Walking around is a good sign :) and good idea on piggy check

I am hoping a boar expert wanders by soon :) sows I know... boars nope, but they are more cuddly I think.

Last edited:
Hello! I used to have a Cashew too (my avatar) and he was my favourite ever guinea pig. I don't know if this is helpful but I have four boar pairs currently who are all very well bonded, and two of the pairs have had a day each of being really grumpy with each other over the last week. The oldest pair are in love normally, and the younger pair are brothers with no issues but the last couple of days have been a bit of a nightmare. Mine have been really humpy, chasing and teeth chattering and they aren't like that at all normally. I put it down to spring! They are fine now and all calm and back to normal. Hopefully yours will calm down soon too. Sorry if that's not any help!

My two boys are 20 months old so not teenagers anymore. Cashew has always been the dominant one but they rub along well together. They have a loft area which only he ever uses, he likes to use the additional hayrack up there. Pistachio has probably been up there twice in his life.

Anyway, over the past week, Cashew has seemed more aggressive than usual, actually trying to nip his brother on the side of his neck. Instigating lots of chasing. He‘s also stopped going up to the loft which means they are together more in the main cage. I haven’t seen any blood and when they aren’t doing this they have sat together to eat hay.

They have two of everything food/water and lots of hideys etc.

I‘ve read the guides on behaviour and the only thing I can think of is, is it Spring hormones? I have come close to separating them a few times but then they calm down again. They do go looking for each other if one is out for a while, eg having a haircut on my knee, so I would hate for things to change permanently.

It could be well spring hormones. While the domestic farm guinea pigs (from which our pet piggies come from) can have babies all the time, their wild ancestor species have a distinct breeding season from spring to autumn. These instincts have survived 3000-6000 years of domestication, even if in a much milder form. I would doubt that it will get any worse than this and not worry.

Thanks everyone. I will put it down to Spring and keep my eye on them.

I‘ll also check he‘s still happy to come down the ramp (although he’s going to be mighty cross when I whisk him up there without permission :D). Can’t quite fathom that because he has always eaten and often slept there, plus he likes to watch TV from the top of the ramp...

Hello! I used to have a Cashew too (my avatar) and he was my favourite ever guinea pig. I don't know if this is helpful but I have four boar pairs currently who are all very well bonded, and two of the pairs have had a day each of being really grumpy with each other over the last week. The oldest pair are in love normally, and the younger pair are brothers with no issues but the last couple of days have been a bit of a nightmare. Mine have been really humpy, chasing and teeth chattering and they aren't like that at all normally. I put it down to spring! They are fine now and all calm and back to normal. Hopefully yours will calm down soon too. Sorry if that's not any help!
Your Cashew was so cute x

Back