• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Change in behaviour

kloeebuck

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I got my about 4 weeks ago now - but as of last week I found my little guy Phineas, unusually asleep when I woke up. I didn't think too much of it until I got home after work and he was in the exact same spot as where I had left him. Some part of me just felt the need to get him out of his cage and when I did I realised he was covered in a white, hard substance. I have (after lots of Googling) come to realise this was Boar Glue from his cage mate, Colin.
Since then he hasn't been acting the same at all. Before he was this happy little lad who ran around his cage and jumped onto the house like structures in there. Colin is still doing the running around (he never jumped up) but Phineas just stays in his little house most of the time looking dazed.

I've been keeping an eye on his these past few days but I'm starting to get worried he wont cheer up.
Any advice would be great -

I haven't had this issue but from what ive read in the forum this could potentially. Be bullying, if your piggy seems depressed. I think a trial separation is advised in this type of situation to see if the piggy perks up away from his cage mate. Hopefully someone with more experience has some advice but there are some great posts in here you can check out about bullying etc to see if it matches what you're going through and get more info on what to do.

I haven't had this issue but from what ive read in the forum this could potentially. Be bullying, if your piggy seems depressed. I think a trial separation is advised in this type of situation to see if the piggy perks up away from his cage mate. Hopefully someone with more experience has some advice but there are some great posts in here you can check out about bullying etc to see if it matches what you're going through and get more info on what to do.

Since that day I haven't noticed that Colin has been trying to mount Phineas anymore though - They both sit and lay together in their houses but don't seem to be coming out and running around the cage together like they once were...

I will 100% be looking for more and more information until this is resolved.
Thank you so much for your help!

(I guess the stress of being a new mum causes one to worry) haha

hi,I'm sorry your guy is under the weather,but a guinea pig that is hiding could also have the potential to be ill.i would weight your piggie daily,if losing weight then you may need to step in with syringe feeding.i would take your piggie to a cavy savvy vet for a checkup.:)

hi,I'm sorry your guy is under the weather,but a guinea pig that is hiding could also have the potential to be ill.i would weight your piggie daily,if losing weight then you may need to step in with syringe feeding.i would take your piggie to a cavy savvy vet for a checkup.:)

He is still eating and drinking but then goes back in or just lays down. He’s not very active anymore.

What is the best way to weight him? That might be a silly question but I don’t have any mini scales 🙃
Also how long would you suggest I let this go on for before taking him to a vet?

I got my about 4 weeks ago now - but as of last week I found my little guy Phineas, unusually asleep when I woke up. I didn't think too much of it until I got home after work and he was in the exact same spot as where I had left him. Some part of me just felt the need to get him out of his cage and when I did I realised he was covered in a white, hard substance. I have (after lots of Googling) come to realise this was Boar Glue from his cage mate, Colin.
Since then he hasn't been acting the same at all. Before he was this happy little lad who ran around his cage and jumped onto the house like structures in there. Colin is still doing the running around (he never jumped up) but Phineas just stays in his little house most of the time looking dazed.

I've been keeping an eye on his these past few days but I'm starting to get worried he wont cheer up.
Any advice would be great -

Hi!

Is Colin eating and drinking normally? Are you weighing him daily instead of weekly?
Please have him vet checked and step in with syringe feeding top up if he is not eating properly. Keep in mind that over 80% of the daily food intake is hay, which you cannot check by eye. Never overlook the medical angle in a sudden change of behaviour - your other boy's overreaction can be equally a reaction to a stroke etc. instead of the cause of it. Guinea pigs require a regular food intake.
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Weight - Monitoring and Management

Secondly put a divider in the cage and check whether there is a case of bullying. It sounds like Colin has reached the teenage months.
Please read this guide here for further information on temporary separations in order to evaluate potential bullying.
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Hi!

Is Colin eating and drinking normally? Are you weighing him daily instead of weekly?
Please have him vet checked and step in with syringe feeding top up if he is not eating properly. Keep in mind that over 80% of the daily food intake is hay, which you cannot check by eye. Never overlook the medical angle in a sudden change of behaviour - your other boy's overreaction can be equally a reaction to a stroke etc. instead of the cause of it. Guinea pigs require a regular food intake.
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Weight - Monitoring and Management

Secondly put a divider in the cage and check whether there is a case of bullying. It sounds like Colin has reached the teenage months.
Please read this guide here for further information on temporary separations in order to evaluate potential bullying.
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Yeah they both seem to be eating and drinking fine in that aspect.

I’ve come home early from work and noticed that he is a bit wobbly on his feet. I bet it is a stroke or something of that nature 😩
We’re booked to see the vet in a couple of hours so hopefully they can help me. I just hope it’s not too late and his equality of life regardless is okay

Yeah they both seem to be eating and drinking fine in that aspect.

I’ve come home early from work and noticed that he is a bit wobbly on his feet. I bet it is a stroke or something of that nature 😩
We’re booked to see the vet in a couple of hours so hopefully they can help me. I just hope it’s not too late and his equality of life regardless is okay

All the best! There is not a lot a vet can do in case of a stroke, but it all depends on their hands-on examination as to what they think.

Please monitor his weight daily while he is so frail - it is an important part of health monitoring in ill and frail piggies. Your support care can make the difference between life and death in some cases. ;)

Fingers very firmly crossed!

Glad you've managed to get a vet appointment.
Hope everything goes well.
Let us know how things go.
Holding you in my thoughts

Thanks everybody for your advice and well wishes.

My lovely Vet Faye said it seems as though he has got an inner ear infection which makes a lot of sense in term of his unsteadiness. We have been given an anti nausea medicine to treat him for his "sea sickness" like unbalance and an antibiotic to treat his infection. She has also given me some pain relief medication as well. Hopefully by the time we go back for our follow up appointment he will be feeling much better.

Fingers crossed for our little guy.
Also to those for may be wondering, Colin has been acting fine towards Phineas since. Faye suggested he say have been showing dominance due to Phineas feeling under the weather. I have hopeful our gorgeous little Boars will remain their friendship after all x

I think you are right, when one is poorly the other piggie will try and dominate, that’s probably why he was covered in boar glue. It sounds like Colin and Phineas are ok bond wise which is good news. Here is a link for a cheap kitchen scale on amazon. Hope this helps, it’s important to weigh piggies once a week when healthy and daily when poorly.
Wishing your boy a speedy recovery x
New 5KG/1G Digital LCD Electronic Kitchen Postal Scales: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

I think you are right, when one is poorly the other piggie will try and dominate, that’s probably why he was covered in boar glue. It sounds like Colin and Phineas are ok bond wise which is good news. Here is a link for a cheap kitchen scale on amazon. Hope this helps, it’s important to weigh piggies once a week when healthy and daily when poorly.
Wishing your boy a speedy recovery x
New 5KG/1G Digital LCD Electronic Kitchen Postal Scales: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Thank you so much! Ive ordered it and I’ll be sure to put it into our routine 💜

Good to hear that everything is probably going to work out well.
Will still be holding you and piggies in my thoughts

Back