• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Changing Food...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine114

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have been feeding our guinea pigs oxbow cavy performance, which says it is for up to 6 months. The boys are nearly 5 months old and are coming to the end of the bag, I don't really want to buy another bag for them not to get through it before April so would now be a good time to start to switch to cavy cuisine? I would do it very slowly, so they would probably have some cavy performance until almost april, when I will also reduce the amount they have. They have hay all the time, a variety of meadow and chamomile, ready grass a couple of times a week as a treat and also woodlands hay cookies about three a week. Thanks for any advice!

A&T

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I dont think it matter hugely if there sightly under 6 months, especially if there still getting it anyway :) I'd start to slowly change over, do you have enough in the old bag to change over slowly? or will it be a bit tight?

Sunshine114

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It might be a bit tight. I'm wondering maybe get them a smaller bag for now and then start changing them over about mid March, do it gradually over a month. They had cavy cuisine before we had them because they were in a hutch and run with their dad who needed the cuisine, I just started the performance because we have only those two and it said it was for younger pigs

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Maybe you should buy a smaller bag of food that they are on at the moment if you don't have enough and then slowly change over. :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
You can comfortably switch to normal pellets; just mix the new ones in gradually.

To be honest, the extra needs in young guinea pigs are very small indeed that youngsters do perfectly fine on normal pellets. Mine have all grown up as part of a mixed ages group on adult pellets and are thriving nevertheless. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.