• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Changing from indoor to outdoor

Hbecooper

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
With moving house we are considering all our options as to where to have our guinea pigs. We have 4 and although the idea is to have them in the living room, I'm wondering whether a dedicated outhouse with heating would be better. The living room is rather large so totally other end and have always been in the living room since we got them. We have a wooden summerhouse in the new house which does have power so can install heating panels, I'm just wondering if we did this what other things should I consider. Its just to give them some quiet space so wanted to really think about it before just settling on the living room, they would come indoors everyday for floor time etc anyway, just not sure how loud the room will be as its all wooden flooring unlike our current small living room very cosy and carpeted so looking at all options just incase. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

Darcey15

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Hi there, the wooden summerhouse sounds great, especially if you can keep it warm in winter and they still get plenty of social time with you. My piggies have always lived outside in a custom made run with a closeable house, off the floor, which is shut at night to keep predators at bay, in winter months or cooler nights, I bring them inside to my utility room to a large cage with lots of bedding so a bit of both. I think as long as it's secure & safe from predators, with plenty of room, and they are getting enough light, fresh air, exercise & interaction time, then it sounds wonderful. Maybe consider how hot it might get in summer though or if you need an outdoor run (with shade) where they can keep cooler on those very rare days when its blistering! (or inside) I'm sure with 4 you are a seasoned pro by now. Hope this helps 👍

Hbecooper

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your responses
Hi there, the wooden summerhouse sounds great, especially if you can keep it warm in winter and they still get plenty of social time with you. My piggies have always lived outside in a custom made run with a closeable house, off the floor, which is shut at night to keep predators at bay, in winter months or cooler nights, I bring them inside to my utility room to a large cage with lots of bedding so a bit of both. I think as long as it's secure & safe from predators, with plenty of room, and they are getting enough light, fresh air, exercise & interaction time, then it sounds wonderful. Maybe consider how hot it might get in summer though or if you need an outdoor run (with shade) where they can keep cooler on those very rare days when its blistering! (or inside) I'm sure with 4 you are a seasoned pro by now. Hope this helps 👍
Hi, that sounds great, my piggies live in an insulated playhouse :)

Are your piggies outdoor at the moment? If not I'd wait til the spring to move them outside :)
I dont suppose you would mind sharing your setups outside at all, feel a little lost as to how to do it. They are indoor piggies so will definitely not be till spring or even summer for a move if they do. We are lucky to have such a big garden but shaded next to the summer house from a tree so would be perfect for combination of an indoor and outdoor space for them..exciting but I'm not the most practical at these things!

Incredipigs

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your responses

I dont suppose you would mind sharing your setups outside at all, feel a little lost as to how to do it. They are indoor piggies so will definitely not be till spring or even summer for a move if they do. We are lucky to have such a big garden but shaded next to the summer house from a tree so would be perfect for combination of an indoor and outdoor space for them..exciting but I'm not the most practical at these things!
Sure :)

The playhouse: 30084496_185941992215937_1048955537670012928_n.jpg
Inside - first two pics are the summer setup, last pic is the winter setup :)
_20180808_193309.JPG_20180808_193249.JPG
IMG-20181209-WA0001.jpg
The run - there's a pig sized door on the side of the playhouse so the pigs can have access to their run all day.
_20181005_091958.JPG

Darcey15

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Ah that looks ace! Mines quite a bit simpler as I've not got a little shed/house but want to do this eventually. Sharing pic of my outdoor run, the hidey house is the same as incredipigs & big enough for 2 piggies to be in at night. They are in here summer months, cooler nights & winter they live inside. Sadly we lost 1 piggie earlier this week so only have 1 currently but we will be getting him some company in due course & your set up looks fab 👍

Attachments

Hbecooper

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They look amazing thank you!
Ah that looks ace! Mines quite a bit simpler as I've not got a little shed/house but want to do this eventually. Sharing pic of my outdoor run, the hidey house is the same as incredipigs & big enough for 2 piggies to be in at night. They are in here summer months, cooler nights & winter they live inside. Sadly we lost 1 piggie earlier this week so only have 1 currently but we will be getting him some company in due course & your set up looks fab 👍
Darcy tip for help with keeping the run shut instead of a brick.. bungee straps! Really helpful clip on top and one on the side :)

Attachments

Darcey15

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
They look amazing thank you!

Darcy tip for help with keeping the run shut instead of a brick.. bungee straps! Really helpful clip on top and one on the side :)
Fab thanks! I did use bungee a couple of years back but they frayed & snapped- I should have probably not left them out all winter 😂...by summer they were gonners! (The bungee, not the pigs!) Can be harsh weather here in Rossendale!