• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

cheeky boar

Reaction score
Hi!
Ollie is a 1 year boar who pretended he was a girl and hence had 2 sons! The 3 were together till the son's hit puberty, and fighting broke out. Reluctantly I had to separate as there were injuries. I was then given an older boar who went in fine with the youngsters. All through last summer they were in runs next to each other. They lay against the bars together and are fine and sociable. I gradually keep introducing them and they will be fine for a limited time ( neutral ground, loads of space) and then all hell breaks loose and Ollie will end up rolling round with one of his sons. Although there is serious fur flying they didn't actually hurt each other this time, but rightly or wrongly I separated them. My question is Am I chasing a lost cause? Should I still keep trying to bond them or give up and just keep him on his own? 1 son and the rescue pig seem unfazed by him it just seems to be the other son. Any ideas please? thank you :-)

Welcome, sorry to hear about your situation.

I constantly read on this site that boars more than 2 in a cage don't do well in general. I believe this is despite the cage size. Whether a cage is big or small, more than 2 boars will fight.
I also read if you want to keep 2 boars, the cage size matters a lot that it has be big.

Three boars rarely works unfortunately. You have to keep 2 matched and well bonded piggies as a pair and for the other one, it's either get him a friend of his own or have him in a separate cage but side by side with the other 2 where they all can still interact with each other.

As has already been said, trios of boars rarely work. And once blood has been drawn, it’s not advisable to try bonding them again. I would work out which two do well together and separate into two pairs. I’d consider putting the older pig with him, I’d they get along, and leave the brothers together. But, be aware that if their personalities don’t match, they could fall out.

Boars need more space so at minimum, a pairs’ cage should be 150cm. Also make sure you have two of everything - bowls, bottles etc.

Piggies also don’t do play dates. It stresses them out because every time they’re separated then put together, they have to start working out the hierarchy from the beginning.

With boars you cannot keep introducing and separating I’m afraid. Once you start a bonding in neutral territory you have to see it through to the end (acceptance or rejection).

Trios of boars rarely work. I think you are describing an attempt to put all 4 together in a group? If so that is even less likely to work. Best option is 2 properly matched pairs in decent sized cages with plenty of space.

Please read the following guides which help explain things to you.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Welcome to the forum.
I can't add to the advice given.
Hope things work out for you and your boys

Back