• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cheep/free Pig Bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDoty

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'd love to make a bigger cage for my pigs but i can't really afford to buy lots of bedding so i was wondering what are some safe and cheap to free bedding that i can use?

I second fleece, which you can buy quite cheaply. The only 'cheap' pet bedding you can get which could possibly be free is sawdust and shavings, but that's bad for piggies, especially sawdust!

There is no good bedding that is free. If you use fleece that is quite cheap and once you buy it you will not have to replace it for a year.

My worry with fleece is that the cost of washing it will outweigh its cheapness

I second fleece, which you can buy quite cheaply. The only 'cheap' pet bedding you can get which could possibly be free is sawdust and shavings, but that's bad for piggies, especially sawdust!

Ah i see. Thanks

I'm personally backing fleece. If you wash it all together it usually works out cheaper than buying bulks of disposable bedding. Plus there is no waste. Except all the poops of course. ;)

You can get unprinted newspaper which is cheap and soft. You can buy several rolls from a newspaper publisher.

I get chopped cardboard bedding in bulk from a local shop selling equestrian supplies and I also buy hay in bulk. You can cut down on bedding use by providing litter/hay trays where you feed them so you can more easily spot clean the most heavily soiled areas.

If you don't mind putting effort in you could cut up cardboard into squares for litter trays I suppose, or you could collect newspapers and put them under a layer of towels/fleece to aid absorbency and reduce washing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back