• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cheilitis? Or fight with cage mate?

Vanesg4

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, my boy Winston appears to have some red irritation on his nose. Could this be cheilitis? He was just seen by a vet on Friday for a recheck and has been on broad spectrum antibiotics and enroflaxicin for what seemed like some kind of mild upper respiratory issue that she said was not quite a URI.

Attachments

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, my boy Winston appears to have some red irritation on his nose. Could this be cheilitis? He was just seen by a vet on Friday for a recheck and has been on broad spectrum antibiotics and enroflaxicin for what seemed like some kind of mild upper respiratory issue that she said was not quite a URI.
Hi!

Please keep an eye on this spot and see a vet if it gets worse. At the moment, it could be just a scrape or the very start of a fungal infection but it is too indistinct. It doesn't look like a cheilitis scab to me as it is.

Vanesg4

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

Please keep an eye on this spot and see a vet if it gets worse. At the moment, it could be just a scrape or the very start of a fungal infection but it is too indistinct. It doesn't look like a cheilitis scab to me as it is.

Thank you so much! Would it be dumb to use some kind of antifungal ointment to treat it now? I saw in some other forums they talked about Daktarin? I just didn’t want to use anything over the counter if it would be too harsh on my pig.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you so much! Would it be dumb to use some kind of antifungal ointment to treat it now? I saw in some other forums they talked about Daktarin? I just didn’t want to use anything over the counter if it would be too harsh on my pig.
please don’t put any kind of treatment on your piggy unless a vet has prescribed it. By using any home treatment you could mask the symptoms which would mean a vet could find it much harder to accurately diagnose, it could make the problem worse and you may not even be treating the correct problem.
As wiebke has advised, keep an eye on it and if it is a fungal issue, it will get worse and it’ll be obvious. The vet can then prescribe the correct treatment

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
please don’t put any kind of treatment on your piggy unless a vet has prescribed it. By using any home treatment you could mask the symptoms which would mean a vet could find it much harder to accurately diagnose, it could make the problem worse and you may not even be treating the correct problem.
As wiebke has advised, keep an eye on it and if it is a fungal issue, it will get worse and it’ll be obvious. The vet can then prescribe the correct treatment
I fully agree with @Piggies&buns .

Vanesg4

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you @Wiebke and @Piggies&buns ! I emailed my vet and she’s just having me give him some oxbow skin supplements now and she said to supervise it in case there’s any hair loss or itchiness, which there doesn’t seem to be at the moment.