• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • FORUM DONATIONS OPEN The forum relies on your help to continue running, if you would like to help keep the forum running then you can find out about donating here

Cherry eye?

Molly.b

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
I spotted this on my girls eye a couple of weeks ago. I first treated her with a basic eye drop that basically cleans the eye (nothing really changed).
She seems so normal in herself, still eating, drinking, pooping.
It doesn’t seem to be bothering her as she isn’t scratching it. I’ve done a bit of research and I can’t tell whether this is the start of cherry eye or something else? does anyone have an idea of what it could be?
Many thanks xIMG_1096.PNG

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,
I spotted this on my girls eye a couple of weeks ago. I first treated her with a basic eye drop that basically cleans the eye (nothing really changed).
She seems so normal in herself, still eating, drinking, pooping.
It doesn’t seem to be bothering her as she isn’t scratching it. I’ve done a bit of research and I can’t tell whether this is the start of cherry eye or something else? does anyone have an idea of what it could be?
Many thanks xView attachment 164813
Hi!

Please have your piggy vet checked for a potentially infected tear gland or conjunctivitis, which causes the gland to prolapse.
Guinea pigs don't get 'cherry eye' like some other species because they don't have a third eye lid although it looks similar.

Molly.b

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

Please have your piggy vet checked for a potentially infected tear gland or conjunctivitis, which causes the gland to prolapse.
Guinea pigs don't get 'cherry eye' like some other species because they don't have a third eye lid although it looks similar.
Thank you! Will book one tomorrow x