• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

chesneys sebaceous cyst seems bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
when the vet checked him over a while back and said it was a cyst, he said to keep monitoring it, and if it bursts, don't panic, just clean it out with hibiscrub and then phone him for advice.

i think the cyst has got bigger. but if i go to the vets, won't he just drain it again and it will just fill back up?

if it did burst, how am i meant to clean it out?

Hello

Some cysts keep refilling, if they are of no inconvenience to the pig itself I normally leave them and just empty them when they need it - I have one that has to be done every week, and others can be left far longer. If the pig is tolerant and isn't bothered by the process I just squeeze the gunk out like squeezing a spot, but gently as possible as it can be uncomfortable. The oily substance also needs to be worked from the outside edges of the cyst towards the opening, it can be surprising just how much there is in one. It's very sticky stuff so a supply of tissue/cotton wool is a good idea as it doesn't wipe off easily.

A cyst will often develop a small opening that this can be done through and it usually stays open, I've not had one get infected though the use of hibiscrub to clean the area afterwards is advisable. I have known people give a dose of metacam prior to working on the cyst to ease any pain - I'm not sure how effective this is.

If the cyst hasn't opened and is growing or is causing the piggie discomfort then the vet could lance it and clear the gunk out - sometimes this is enough and the cyst doesn't come back. Though if it does perhaps surgical removal is an option - this would also depend on the site of the cyst and if there is a sufficient skin margin around the cyst to be able to close the wound successfully.

HTH

Suzy x

They do tend to fill back up... as long as the walls of the cyst are still there the fluid tends to accumulate. One of my pigs had a cyst/abscess on her back and we had the same issue... it was lanced, but filled back up, and because it was large the process of lancing it caused some of the skin covering it to lose blood supply and fall off, so that the top portion of the wall of the cyst/abscess was exposed... eventually we had it surgically removed because it was just not going to heal up. It was a general anasthesia surgery, but she did very well, ended up with only a little scar, and so far (knock on wood!) nothing else has popped up.

i'll check ches over again and see what i think. he's slimmed down since last vets visit aswell so that might be why it looks bigger. :{ (just to add, the vet advised the weight loss, and it was done gradually)

i think i might go back to the vets just to check and have it drained again and see what he advises.

ches doesn't seem bothered by it.

say it did burst, do i gently squeeze the gunk out and then use the hibiscrub? how do you use it, put some on a tissue and wipe over?

Pippa recently had a cyst on her side/back and she had it lanced. We were given hibiscrub and advised to water it down and gently flush the wound with a syringe.

We carefully placed the end of the syringe inside the hole and gently pressed the plunger down so that the any gunk was flushed out from the inside. we did have to keep squeezing it too (although I guess this wouldn't be the case if it burst?)

Hope Ches is okay x

Pippa recently had a cyst on her side/back and she had it lanced. We were given hibiscrub and advised to water it down and gently flush the wound with a syringe.

We carefully placed the end of the syringe inside the hole and gently pressed the plunger down so that the any gunk was flushed out from the inside. we did have to keep squeezing it too (although I guess this wouldn't be the case if it burst?)

Hope Ches is okay x

sounds more complicated than i thought, especially as i don't know what i'm doing!

i think i will go back to the vets and let him see what he thinks. could always ring him but even if he told me what to do i would be scared of getting it wrong! rolleyes

thanks. :)p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back